Episode 81

" Gerald Hightower called in sick today," Lyle said quietly as he stood almost nervously in the medical clinic at Barrington Academy. He was dressed in what was his usual daytime attire of beige work slacks, a checkered button down shirt and a sweater vest. And the shining engagement ring worn proudly on his hand.

He looked from Angel who was organizing the file cabinet to DuBuis who was sitting behind his own desk and on the MacBook before him putting in a request to the board for permission and funds to order Narcan as part of the anti drug program.

DuBuis replied to his old friend," I heard that. It happens. We all get sick. Especially with all the germs going around lately. "

Angel examined his fiance's almost tense face. " Is there something more to this than we know? I mean calling in isn't that serious. Occasionally at the hospital I would call in because I was hung over. "

DuBuis smiled. " Once I called in because the Commanders won a game. Of course that's when they were the ' Skins. So you know how long ago that was. It'll never happen again. "

Lyle shook his head. " Gerald never misses work. He is never late. This school is his life. I asked Penelope and she was awfully vague about it. She's been acting.... funny lately. Although we've never been close but now she's very chatty to me. I never thought she liked me much before. Anyway she said it was just a cold. But a cold would not keep him from work and the students. I know this. "

DuBuis and Angel looked at each other. DuBuis asked," So what should we do about it, Lyle? It's not against the rules to call in sick. "

Lyle swallowed hard and ran his hands over his hair. " I .... I was thinking maybe since you were the doctor here at the clinic and the clinic is for students and staff alike that maybe you or Angel or both could go check on him. If he is really sick it has to be bad if he called in. "

DuBuis stared at the smaller man who reminded him of Spencer at times. He seemed so worried. Concerned. From what he knew of the teacher Lyle didn't overreact to things. Much. Maybe there was something wrong with the headmaster. Gerald was not a bad person. And he was devoted to the school as a whole. It wouldn't hurt if he went to check on the man , he decided. Maybe today after work.