Episode 101

Alan Kendall had never had anyone write a song for him. Frankly he didn't think he ever would again. He was not really all that important of a person. Actually next to his brother the high school football hero who just happened to be openly gay and popular too he was not really all that much. He wasn't that smart. He didn't really have any particular talents. He didn't know what he wanted to do after high school. The only claim to fame he had was that everyone considered him a nice guy but to him being nice was just something that came naturally and not something he strived to do. At night he often was gripped with sudden bouts of insecurity like everyone else in the world as he thought about the old adage " Nice Guys Finish Last ".

He wasn't thinking about any of that as he sat on the porch swing on the DuBuis - Lane front porch as he listened with awe while Theodore Rochester stood playing the most beautiful and haunting song on his violin that he had ever heard in his life. He watched the boy with his eyes closed tightly and his head tossed back, the violin tucked between his chin and his shoulder gently. The bow moved so masterfully back and forward in a confident and almost sensual manner. Theodore looked strangely beautiful and almost seemed to be glowing radiantly as he played the music that filled the late afternoon air that December day.

Alan let out the breath he had been holding in and his whole body began to shiver all over. Suddenly he felt so terrified.

He thought he was falling in love with this boy.

No. He knew he was falling in love with this boy. But what hope did he have to keep his interest? Theodore had tremendous talent and he was so smart. And he was more attractive than people gave him credit for even in the sweater vests, bright pants and bow ties he liked so much.

Alan bit his lip so hard he tasted blood. What exactly did he see in what Kyle Samson called Barrington's Sweetheart anyway?

As Theodore finished the song with a flourish his eyes slowly reopened and he stood with his violin waiting for Alan's reaction nervously.

Alan didn't clap.

He didn't hoot or holler.

He didn't call out " good job".

No. What he did was stand up and move over to Theodore to pull the smaller boy closer to his own body for a sweet hesitant nearly shy kiss.