CLX. CURSED NECKLACES

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

It had not been a fun trip and the weather was getting worse the longer they stayed. 

Once again they drew their cloaks tightly around them, rearranged their scarves, pulled on their gloves, and then followed Katie Bell and her friend out of the pub and back up the High Street. 

It was a little while before Mia became aware that the voices of Katie Bell and her friend, which were being carried back to her on the wind, had become shriller and louder. Mia squinted at them. Indistinct figures. The two girls were arguing about something Katie was holding in her hand. 

"It's nothing to do with. you, Leanne!" Mia heard Katie say. 

They rounded a corner in the lane, sleet coming thick and fast. Leanne made to grab hold of the package Katie was holding; Katie tugged it back and the package fell to the ground. At once, Katie rose into the air gracefully, her arms outstretched, as though she was about to fly. Yet there was something wrong, something eerie. Her hair was whipped around her by the fierce wind, but her eyes were closed and her face was quite empty of expression. Mia, Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Leanne had all halted in their tracks, watching.

Then, six feet above the ground, Katie let out a terrible scream. Her eyes flew open but whatever she could see, or whatever she was feeling, was causing her terrible anguish. She screamed and screamed. Leanne started to scream too and seized Katie's ankles, trying to tug her back to the ground. Mia's eyes glowed red as two red energy balls appeared at her hands. She held them out as Katie slowly fell to the floor Mia's hands began to shake as she tried to keep Katie pinned down. She was writhing so much Mia could hardly hold her. Mia relaxed as she rose a few feet in the air a dark red glow surrounded the ginger girl she looked at Katie and managed to keep her under control.

"Stay there!" he shouted at the others over the howling wind. "I'm going for help!"

"Hurry!" Hermione yelled desperately as Mia was struggling.

Harry eventually arrived a few minutes later with Hagrid. Mia was close to passing out as Katie was still writhing and screaming on the ground and Ron, Hermione, and Leanne were all trying to quiet her while Mia held her down.

"Get back!" shouted Hagrid. "Lemme see her!"

"Something's happened to her!" sobbed Leanne. "I don't know what. . . ."

Hagrid stared at Katie for a second, then without a word, bent down, scooped her into his arms, and ran off toward the castle with her. Within seconds, Katie's piercing screams had died away and the only sound was the roar of the wind. Mia floated back to the ground as Hermione hurried over to Katie's wailing friend and put an arm around her.

"What the fuck is that?" Mia asked, squatting down and looking at the package in the snow. 

Her eyes glowed red as it levitated to her eye level and Mia saw an ornate opal necklace. She took her scarf off and wrapped the necklace in it before looking at the others.