CXLIV. DUMBLEDORE'S SECRET WEAPON

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

Mia was walking next to Draco and Hermione in the lead while Umbridge was walking so closely behind them that Mia could hear her breathing. 

Hermione led the way down the stairs into the entrance hall. The din of loud voices and the clatter of cutlery on plates echoed from out of the double doors to the Great Hall. It seemed incredible to Mia that twenty feet away were people who were enjoying dinner, celebrating the end of exams, not a care in the world. 

Hermione walked straight out of the oak front doors and down the stone steps into the balmy evening air. The sun was falling toward the. tops of the trees in the Forbidden Forest now as Hermione marched purposefully across the grass, Umbridge jogging to keep up. Their long dark shadows rippled over the grass behind them like cloaks. 

"It's hidden in Hagrid's hut, is it?" said Umbridge eagerly in Mia's ear. 

"Of course not," said Hermione scathingly. "Hagrid might have set off accidentally."

Yes," said Umbridge, whose excitement seemed to be mounting."Yes, he would have done, of course, the great half-breed oaf. . . ." 

She laughed and Mia felt a strong urge to swing around and seize her by the throat, but only resisted when he felt a cold hand brush past hers. She looked down and saw Draco's hand was inches away from hers and for a split second, the two locked eyes and Mia felt calm. The ginger girl looked away and carried on following Hermione into the forest. 

"Is it very far in?" Umbridge asked, as her robe ripped on a bramble. 

"Oh yes," said Hermione. "Yes, it's well hidden."

Mia's misgivings increased. Hermione was not taking the path they had followed to visit Grawp, but the one she had followed three years ago to the lair of the monster Aragog. Hermione had not been with her on that occasion; she doubted she had any idea what danger lay at the end of it.

"Er, are you sure this is the right way?" he asked her pointedly.

"Oh yes," she said in a steely voice, crashing through the undergrowth with what he thought was a wholly unnecessary amount of noise. 

Behind them, Umbridge tripped over a fallen sapling. Neither of them paused to help her up again; Hermione merely strode on, calling loudly over her shoulder, "It's a bit further in!"

"Hermione, keep your voice down," Mia muttered, hurrying to catch up with her as Draco was by her side. "Anything could be listening in here."

"I want us heard," she answered quietly, as Umbridge jogged noisily after them. "You'll see. . . ."

They walked on for what seemed a long time until they were once again so deep into the forest that the dense tree canopy blocked out all light. Mia had the feeling she had had before in the forest, one of being watched by unseen eyes.