[chapter eighteen: "surprise"]

Chapter 18: "Surprise"
Scott Hall's POV

- - -

"You sure you want this to be a surprise? She's not too fond of those, you know." Kev chuckles as he pulls over in this little parking lot outside of some shopping center in Norfolk. "She's on crutches now, so she could whack us with them."

"I know what I'm doing. She'll be ecstatic." I grin while Kev shrugs and throws his hands up, laughing still.

"You're right, you're right."

I'm so excited, I can barely fuckin' stand it. We get to see Joli today! I just hope this little plan of ours works.

Kev and I both get out of the car and make our way over to this little payphone on the corner of the street. Thankfully, it isn't one of those annoying ones that keeps you confined in a little area; there's no way the two of us would've fit. Kev slides the change into the machine and rings Joli up before placing the phone between our heads. We lean in close to one another, so that we can both listen and talk.

"Hello?"

"Hey! Joli! How's it going, babe?" Kev sends me a little smirk as he talks.

"Oh, hey! Things are good, I guess. I just finished lunch." She laughs. "Oh! Something exciting did happen earlier, though."

"Really? What was it?" I ask.

"A little bird flew into my window, but it didn't die. Scared the shit out of me when it happened, but I don't know. It flew away as though nothing had happened, once it came to." Joli then sighs dramatically. "What are you guys up to today?"

"Ah, you know, we're just out and about. We had a little bit of free time, so we stopped by a little place and figured we call you up for a minute." I have to stop myself from chuckling. God, I'm just so fucking happy!

"You guys can just call me back whenever you get to your hotel later. I don't want you to be stuck at a payphone when you could be having some fun." Joli's so sweet. Kev raises an eyebrow towards me with such an amused look on his face.

"What's more fun than talking to you?" I honestly can't think of anything.

"A lot of things, I'm sure." Joli then laughs. "But, you guys know I love talking to you."

"Fuck, actually, we may have to call you back later, babe. It looks like we're getting a line here." Kev's technically lying, since there isn't anyone waiting on the phone, but that's fine. We've convinced her that we're busy and there's no way that she would think that we're anywhere near her. After all, we left the hotel early this morning, and Nitro last night wasn't exactly close by.

"Oh, all right. Have fun for me!" Oh God, why'd you have to sound so sad there, babe?

"We will, Joli. We'll call you later!" I can't stop myself from grinning like a damn fool, but neither can Kev.

"Later, guys!"

Kev hangs the phone up and as we turn to walk back to the car, we both laugh. I know Kev has got to be as excited to see Joli as I am. Neither one of us have had all that much time to come see her, and I hate that. He's called her a lot more than I have, and that's all on me. I feel fuckin' horrible about it, but I couldn't stand hearing her in pain.

It doesn't take us more than about fifteen minutes to get to Joli's place. Once we're parked, we head up to the door and I knock on it while Kev stands behind me. Joli yells, "Just a moment!" as she hobbles to the door, and I send Kev a smirk. He smiles and pats my shoulder.