[chapter sixty-four: "meet the milfords"]

Chapter 64: "Meet the Milfords"
Kevin Nash's POV

- - -

When I suggested that we spend Christmas with Jolene's family, I had not the slightest idea what I was in for.

That is the first thing that I realize when we walk into Joli's parents house. It's a simple place; it's pretty clean with nice enough decorations. Definitely a decent place to live.

It's the family that catch me off guard. From the way Joli spoke of everyone, I half expected them to have devil horns growing out of their heads. I shouldn't be surprised by the fact that these are regular looking people, but I sort of am.

We didn't knock to get in the house. Joli just opened the door and we walked on in. Even once I close the door behind me, no one pays us any attention.

Huh.

There are three men sitting on the couch, and they're just watching some local news channel, it looks like. I look over to Joli, trying to see how she reacts to them.

However, she doesn't say a word. Joli just grabs my hand and begins leading me into the kitchen.

This whole experience is already weird. I don't know what's going on.

Joli drops my hand and I stand in the door frame of the kitchen as she walks over to the fridge. There are three women in here, and they're busy gossiping and cooking. Joli grabs a couple of bottles of water from the refrigerator and then snags an empty bottle from the trash.

My girl takes a seat at the kitchen table and then motions for me to sit down beside of her. I do, naturally, but as I walk over to Joli, she pulls her carton of smokes and her lighter out of her purse.

I can tell by the smug, sexy smirk on Jolene's lips that what she's about to do is going to piss someone off. Goddamn, I love this woman.

Sure enough, the moment that smoke begins flying off Joli's cigarette, one of the women at the over turns around. This chick looks a lot like my babe, just... Angrier? Older? I don't know, she's not as hot as my Joli.

"Jolene! Alice! Milford! What in God's name are you doing in my house?" She sounds bitchier than Joli, too.

"Hi, mom." Joli waves with her hand that's holding her cigarette. "It's nice to see you, too!"

"That's not what I'm talking about." The woman huffs. "Put that cigarette out this instant!"

"Oh come on, mom, a little smoke isn't going to kill anyone." My girl is just trying to pick a fight, but I'm not going to stop her. "I finally show up around here and that's the greeting I get?"

"You're such a pain in the ass." Joli's mom sighs. "Welcome home, I guess."

You guess? Get the fuck out of here.

"Oh, don't worry, we'll be out of your hair before too long." Jolene winks at her mother. "Merry Christmas."

It seems like this is the first time Joli's mom notices me, because she turns her head to me and scans me over. I just stare blankly at the woman, because she doesn't seem to be that impressed by me at first glance.

"I'm sorry, who are you?" Huh, isn't she sweet? Her blunt tone makes me know I'm loved here.

"Kevin Nash." I extend my hand out to my girl's mom across the table, just to be polite. "I'm Joli's boyfriend."

"Oh!" She laughs and ignores my attempt at a handshake. I shrug it off and grab my water bottle. "My name is Mary. As I'm sure you know, I'm unfortunately Jolene's mother." Mary then giggles. "I apologize for not speaking to you sooner. I wasn't sure if you and Jolene were actually together, or if you were just her fuck of the week, or-"