[chapter sixty-six: "a can of worms"]

Chapter 66: "A Can of Worms"
Jolene Milford's POV

- - -

I finish the last puff of my cigarette before quickly stomping it out on the ground. The late January air is fuckin' cold this afternoon, and I really don't want to be out here longer than I have to. I love my nicotine, but damn, this is crazy.

One look at the sky and it's easy to tell that a snowstorm is on its way. Fuck, I hope that we don't get stuck here.

That would be the worst, wouldn't it? All of the WCW crew stuck in a shitty little arena with a houseful of fans. Plus, there's the staff and crew of the building, and, God, it'd be a big mess.

As soon as I close the door behind me, the heat in the arena washes over me. It's a beautiful, wonderful feeling, but I don't focus on it for too long.

Why would I, when I spot Dallas strutting down a nearby hallway?

"Dallas!" I call out to my big bro as I walk over to him. "What's up?"

Dally gives me a grin as soon as his eyes land on me, and we give each other a quick, one-armed hug. I sure as hell appreciate his warmth.

"You were out in the cold again, weren't you?" Dallas asks. He's shaking his head disapprovingly at me, and I can't help but laugh. "Smoking a cigarette isn't worth freezing your ass."

"I'll warm up and be okay." I reply as we start walking off towards wherever the fuck Dally was heading. "Where's Kim?"

"Good to see you too." Dally nudges me playfully with his elbow. "She's practicing with her girls. You know how that goes."

I nod, knowing how much time Kim has invested with the Nitro Girls. That's her place in the company now, and she's killing it there. Kimmy's so hot and talented, it's really no surprise that she's leading the lot. They're lucky to have her.

"Kev in a meeting?" Dallas asks as he casually folds his arms across his chest.

"Yes indeed." I click my tongue on the roof of my mouth. "Hopefully, he won't be busy too much longer." I then look up at my brother. "Where are you headed?"

"Just going to check some merch out. Nothing big. I heard they had some shirts made up for me and I wanted to see what they looked like." Dallas shrugs. "You're welcome to hang with me as long as you'd like."

"Really?" I have to tease him. "I'm flattered. The great Diamond Dallas Page is inviting me to spend some time with him."

"I don't know why I try with you sometimes." Naturally, Dallas dramatically rolls his eyes. "You're such a little shit, Jolene." He then gives me a smirk and goes to put me in a headlock, but I quickly duck away from him and jump on his back.

"Onward, noble steed!" I point forward with my right hand. "To the merchandising department!"

At first, Dallas starts running down the hallway; but, as soon as I get comfortable and start having fun, he stops abruptly. I nearly fall off of his back, and Dally fuckin' cackles at the alarmed squeak that escapes from my lips.

"Dallas!" I hiss as I wrap one arm tightly around his neck and smack his shoulder with my other hand. "You prick!"

"You see, Joli?" Dally snickers. "That's why we're nice to people. Because you never know when they could drop you on your ass."

I groan and rest my chin on Dally's shoulder, right where I had just smacked him. "Asshole." I mumble childishly.

"Love you too, sister."