[chapter four: "an emotional roller coaster"]

Chapter 4: "An Emotional Roller Coaster"
Jolene Milford's POV

- - -

For the third morning in a row, I wake up in Scott's arms and not Kev's. They're both so warm and nice to lay with, you know? I've gotten so used to sleeping with Kev that I forgot how good of a cuddle buddy Scott is.

I slip out of Scott's sleepy hold and sit up on the bed, pushing my hair out of my face. I feel a lot better today, after being hungover as hell yesterday. It's nice. The reunion was a complete mess; no, I was the mess, wasn't I? I probably gave too much credit to myself by thinking I would be totally fine there, in all honesty.

I knew that Jenny would be a problem. She's been a fuckin' problem since high school. I knew I could handle her, just like I always did. But Thomas? I had hoped that he actually wouldn't show up. Fuckin' piece of shit. If I had never had to see his ugly mug again, it would've been too damn soon.

After I slide on my house shoes, I head to the bathroom. Once I'm finished in there, I grab my cigarettes and my lighter off of the nightstand. As I walk out to my back porch, I take a cigarette out of its box and place it in my mouth. I sit down in one of my little chairs and light my cigarette up once I make it outside.

You can definitely tell that it's autumn. It's chilly out here this morning.

When I go back inside, I'm going to start making us something to eat. Scott made us breakfast yesterday because I felt so damn horrible, and this is my house, so it's the least I can do.

I'm very grateful for Scott, more so than he could ever imagine. I don't know what I would've done without him at that shit show. I let Thomas and the mere thought of him get to me and I know I shouldn't have. I've moved past him and I've moved past the shit he did to me. I hadn't even really thought about him in a long time, so why did just seeing him break me?

I don't need Thomas. I never needed Thomas. For all I fuckin' care, Jenny can keep him; as long as she keeps him as far away from me as possible.

I handled things so poorly that night. I shouldn't have automatically gotten plastered off my ass, but I did. The simple mention of Thomas shouldn't have set me off, but it did.

But, Scott made sure that I was okay. He is continuing to make sure I am okay. For all his faults, Scott Hall is one of the amazing men that I've ever met and had the joy of calling my friend. I couldn't have gotten through that fuckin' high school reunion without him, I honestly believe that.

Things will be a lot better once we get back on the road tomorrow. I miss Kev, Kid, Dally, and Kim.

Once I've finished smoking, I head back into my house and make my way to the kitchen. I work on a big, hearty breakfast, because I know that's the kind of thing Scott likes. After everything is done cooking, I set the table and grab us some drinks from the fridge. As I look at the table and the meal I've prepared, I can't help but smile. This is pretty good, right?

I head back into my bedroom and walk over to Scott, who's still snoring and stretched out on the bed. I place a hand on his shoulder and shake him softly, unable to stop myself from grinning as he groans in protest.

"I made breakfast, Scott." I tell him as I step back and watch him force himself up, rubbing the side of his face.

"Oh, thanks, babe. I'll be in there in a minute, okay?" His voice is so gruff where he's just woken up; it's really hot.