[chapter seventy-four: "it's better this way"]

Chapter 74: "It's Better this Way"
Scott Hall's POV

- - -

When Kev asked me to meet him at a local diner after tonight's Thunder taping, I knew that something big was on his mind. Ever since he and Dallas went to that baseball game together, I could just tell that something was on his mind; he won't sell it around Joli, but when it is just us, his defenses slip.

I guess it's good that he's not wanting to try and hide anything from me. I just wonder what he's wanting to hide from her.

It's got to be a big damn deal if Kev is not telling Joli, right? I can't put my finger on what it is, and that's probably because I can't tell if it's something that is making him happy or sad.

Did he get her something, or did he mess something up? Is something gonna happen to her? Really, what's up?

I'll find out soon, because Kev should be here any minute. He told me to meet him at midnight, and according to the clock on the wall, that's the time. Kev must be running a little late.

Of course, as soon as I say that, I spot Big Kev making his way out of Dallas' rental. The plan was for me to bring our car, and Kev just ride back to the hotel together. That's fine with me.

"There you are." I say with a small laugh as Kev walks on over to the booth I'm at. He grins and sits down across from me.

"Hey, man. Sorry to make you wait." Kev apologizes as he grabs one of the menus. "Joli didn't want me to leave until she fell asleep, and I couldn't tell her 'no.'"

I really don't blame him. She's too goddamn cute to leave, especially when she's sleepy.

"It's all right, brother. You've not got to apologize for anything." I wave it off before taking a drink of the coffee that I had ordered earlier. It's actually my second cup of the night, because it's really helped keep my ass awake. "What's on your mind?"

As soon as I bring up the elephant in the room, this look of uncertainty crosses Kev's face. Is whatever it is that he wants to talk about bad? Or does he just not want to tell me?

I can't figure it out and that stings. Have I lost my ability to read Kev, or has he just gotten better at hiding his feelings? Maybe I'm just reading too far into this.

"Well, man, it's..." Kev trails off when the waitress comes by to take his order, and once she goes off to go get him his own coffee, he resumes his train of thought. "It's about Joli. It's nothing bad or anything, but it is about her. Me and her."

It's not bad, but it's about them? What the fuck is he talking about? I'm trying to piece all of this together, but it's just not making much sense to me. What happened that day with Dallas?

"What is it?" As the words come from my mouth, one possible answer comes into my mind, but I'm sure that's not what he's talking about.

Kev's not going to ask Joli to marry him, is he?

"There's something big that's going to happen, but you're sworn to secrecy, okay?" Kev grins widely at me once again. I can tell now that he's really excited about whatever it is. "You can't tell Joli."

"I won't tell her." I shake my head at my Kev. "Whatever big thing you're planning, it's safe with me."

"So," Kev starts off, pausing only to thank the waitress when she brings him his coffee, "Joli and I have been together for over a year now, you know?"

Holy fuck. He's going to do it, isn't he?

"Yeah. You guys got together the day Kid got let go, right?" I mean, I think that was the day they started dating. I'm not entirely sure, since I wasn't doing the best then.