[chapter fifty-six: "the razor's edge"]

Chapter 56: "The Razor's Edge"
Third Person POV

- - -

After Scott had left World Champion Wrestling behind, Jolene and Kevin grew considerably closer. For this particular chapter, we're going back to August of 1992, just a few months after Scott had signed with the World Wrestling Federation. He had been working house shows and dark matches for the company, but until this night, he had not made his televised debut.

As far as Jolene and Kevin's positions in WCW at this time, Jolene was admittedly at a better place than Kevin. Kevin had been continuing to work with Dallas, keeping the Vinnie Vegas character alive for just a tad bit longer. Of course, it was pretty much as big of a train wreck as it could possibly be, and Kevin knew very well that his days in WCW were numbered.

Honestly, though, Kevin was okay with that. To Kevin, WCW had become a huge, heaping pile of shit and he was convinced that they had absolutely no idea how to book him. On top of that, the money that he was making in the company just wasn't worth all of the shit that he had to endure. His character was a joke; on the other hand, though, Dallas looked like a million bucks.

Kevin had dreams of joining the WWF, sure,  but he wasn't certain if that would ever happen. And, if it did, what if the WWF turned out to be just as shitty as WCW? It was a confusing time for Kevin, without a doubt.

Meanwhile, Jolene had been taken away from Kevin and Dallas and tossed into the world on her own. It had been decided soon after the Diamond Mine disbanded that Kimberly would be the only woman to accompany Dallas to the ring from then on, and Jolene hadn't even considered fighting that for a moment. If she had, it could possibly have ended badly for Kimberly, and Jolene would much rather be unemployed that get Kimberly in any hot water.

After all, Jolene wouldn't have even been signed by WCW in the first place, were it not for Kimberly and Dallas. One of Jolene's strongest traits had always been her loyalty. There aren't many people in this world that Jolene has ever deeply cared for, but for those people, she'd give up just about anything.

Jolene began working as an announcer for WCW house shows, and she had a strong feeling that the company was trying to prepare her for their televised shows. Ever since she had first accompanied Dallas and Scott to the ring, there had been a considerable portion of the crowd that had taken an interest in her. There was just something about Jolene and the charm she brought to the product that made people like her.

Now, those in charge of WCW weren't always the brightest, but they weren't going to turn a blind-eye to Jolene's blossoming popularity. Of course, no one was certain what levels of success she could reach, but as WCW would come to learn, Jolene Milford was a damn badass on the mic.

There had been a sinking feeling in Jolene's gut since a few days after Scott left that Kevin would soon be joining him, but really, she just wanted the best for her boys. There was a part of Jolene that feared being completely alone, but every time that irrational thought process crossed her mind, a cheerful mental image of Dallas and Kimberly pushed it away.

The dark-haired woman would miss Kevin when he inevitably left, but she would still have Dallas and Kimberly to hang out with.

However, on this night, Kevin and Jolene sat in their hotel bed with excited grins on their lips. This was one of the few nights that the two shared a hotel room during Kevin's first run with WCW; normally, the two would just get rooms as close to one another as possible and go their separate ways at the end of the night.

Every time one of them thinks back on it, they have to laugh, considering they never even batted an eye at the thought of permanently rooming together once Kevin returned. Though, that mainly stemmed from Jolene wanting to spend as much time with Scott and Kevin both as possible.