sixty eight

My future was something that I often thought about. It was such a big uncertainty and it scared me. As a kid growing up, all I wanted was stability and I worked so hard for it everyday. Sure, normally kids my age at 15 thought about the next party they were going to and dreamed of being famous but I matured faster than all of them. I made sure I would get the ATAR score I needed to be able to get into any university I wanted. I made sure to go to all uni lectures even if sometimes that meant missing out on an event. I made sure to have a good work ethic. I'm proud enough to say that everything I had, I worked for. Nothing was handed down to me on a silver platter. I worked for it. But, sometimes life just throws curve balls at you that you can't dodge and I was now at that point in my life.

Everything happens for a reason. Although, sometimes as hard as I think about it I can't seem to envisage what the reason was. Why did Marcus and I's relationship fall apart? Why did I have to get hurt before I could feel just the tiniest inch of happiness? Although all these questions have answers, none of them seem to make sense. Those answers lead to more questions and the only person who could give me those answers so far away from me mentally that I don't think I'd be able to handle the situation in a way I'd be adequate with.

I hear a soft knock on the door, I probably wouldn't have been able to hear it if I wasn't in the kitchen. I wipe my hands with a tea towel before making my way to the door.

"Hello." I say, opening the door expecting it to be the mailman or the UberEats Caleb had ordered. But I was quite startled and confused at the person standing before me at the door "Uh- sorry Caleb's not back yet."

"I'm not here for Caleb." says Jack giving me a smile.

"Oh, come in." I say but it sounded like a question.

"Look, Bianca. I really wanted to talk to you yesterday." says Jack, taking a seat next to me on the couch.

"Yeah." I say. I really didn't want to make this awkward because nothing bad happened between us before I left. I just left at the wrong time. We were seeing each other but we weren't in a relationship.

"I've missed you a lot." he smiles "I was so glad to see you yesterday. I wasn't expecting it."

"I'm sorry for not telling you. If it makes you any better, not even Mum knew." I say.

"I'm not mad. Just as long as you're here." says Jack, giving me a cheeky smile.

"What're you doing here?" I say, taking his hand.

"Well, I did promise you something when you left."

"What was that?" I ask.

"To finish what we left off." he smiles.

"Oh, I don't thi-"

"No, Bianca. I'm not letting you go this time. Get changed we're going out." he smiles.

I don't want a relationship right now. It's the least I'm thinking about. I have a child, I can't be going around go on with dates without Marcus even knowing I was here let alone he was the father of my child.

I don't know why I couldn't say no to Jack. I didn't really like him.

That's a lie.

But I can't do this right now. I can't keep lead him on. I have to tell him about my secret but I couldn't without telling Marcus first. Not because I was scared of it getting out but because I had enough respect for Marcus.

"I can't, Jack." I say "I'm sorry."