Bananun

Prompt: Lana is invited to an event for her book with the publicity of it and what has been accomplished as a result of her writing her book. Lana decides to treat her wife, Mary, out that night to make it special for both of them. 

POV: Lana 

Tonight was the night of the Big Event. Many of the most respected reporters and authors were going to be there, including me. I was invited because of the work of my journalism and book on Briarcliff Manor, and I was allowed a guest. And what better person than the person who helped me tackle all of this than my wife, Mary. 

Mary and I conquered Briarcliff together, with all of its horrors and demons, literally. Mary was no longer possessed, about the time the devil left her, we both escaped. Which has led to the life we live now. We've been together for 4 years, gay marriage is still illegal. But, we both wear rings that symbolize our love for each other and we have been calling each other "wife" for 2 years with our friends.

I walked into the corner of our spacious living room, remembering the "good" times Mary and I had at the institution together, things I could tell some of the people there about. I heard Mary humming from the bathroom, she was putting on some makeup for the Big Event. 

"But you don't need any." I told her, cupping her cheek.

"I want to impress these people though." 

"Well if they can't be impressed by your personality, then screw them." 

She giggled and went into the bathroom anyway. 

It was now 4:15 and I knew we needed to go. I walked into the bathroom and saw Mary finishing her look with bright red lipstick. Lipstick I had not seen since the asylum. Ravish Me Red. It was also the first time Mary told me that Jude had slapped her, even though I knew it was not the first and only time. I was surprised to see her wearing it, and I guess Mary sensed that. 

"Do you not like it? I can take it off?" She asked quickly. 

"No babe no, you look wonderful. I just haven't seen that color in a while." 

"I think everything deserves a second chance you know?" 

I nodded. That was another part of Mary though. She was so forgiving, even when people did not deserve it. When she needed to cut them out of her life. But she still did not get it. And I guess in a sense it was okay because she was still learning. Even then, it made me uneasy. 

Mary was wearing a no-sleeve peach shirt with long white pants. Her long blonde hair was flat ironed and her bangs were set neatly. She had on gold flats that matched her eye shadow perfectly. I was wearing a black velvet dress with black heels to match. My short brown hair had been cut recently to make it shorter, just under my ears. I had on red lipstick as well, just not as bright as Mary's. 

"Come on babe, we need to go." I said, extending my hand. 

Mary nodded and dropped her lipstick into her purse, then put on a little perfume. She grabbed my hand and turned off the bathroom light and we walked out of the house together, my nerves already shooting through the roof. 

It took us an hour to get to the venue for the Big Event. As soon as we got out, I could tell Mary was overwhelmed. She hated crowds, and even worse when she did not know any of the people. I walked over to her and took her hand, looked over, and smiled at her. She smiled back at me, despite the tremor in her hand. 

"No matter what, no matter who I'm talking to, if you feel overwhelmed and need anything at all, let me know. We can go home whenever you're ready." I said, and sneaked a quick kiss on her cheek, causing her to blush.