Raulson

Prompt: Nightmares are something Sarah has struggled with her entire life. Tonight, as she is laying with Lily, she has another nightmare.

POV: Sarah

I shot up in bed, panting. 

A nightmare. It was just another nightmare. It was always the same nightmare, but it got to me all the same. There was a smiling figure on the other side of the window, staring at me. I ran around, begging for help, but no one was listening to me. Finally, the figure got into the house and killed everyone. Right before it could kill me, I would wake up. 

Lily stirred beside me, wrapping her arms around my waist. I sighed and moved her arm, getting out of bed. 

"Sar?" 

"I'm just going to use the bathroom." I said, turning on the bathroom light and rubbing my eyes from the harshness. I closed the door behind me, making sure no one was there. I hated feeling this paranoia, this deep fear of someone being where they shouldn't be. In my house. I shook my head and splashed water onto my face, trying to get the dream out of my mind. I patted my face dry and looked at myself in the mirror. The bags under my eyes have gotten progressively darker from work and stress, I've become much more jittery, I'm always on edge. Everything was taking its toll. 

I stood in the same spot for a few seconds, shaking. Dark thoughts ran through my mind, that I wasn't good enough. I was never good enough. That I should've ended it all earlier. That I could end it all now. I opened the medicine cabinet and pulled out a full bottle of sleeping pills. 

But a sound stopped me. 

Lily humming. 

I couldn't leave her here. Not after everything she has done for me. 

I forced myself to put the bottle back and I took a few deep breaths to try and steady myself. I opened the bathroom door again and saw that Lily had closed the blinds to the bedroom and there was a cup on the bedside table on my side with steam coming from it. I walked into the room, leaving the bathroom light on and saw Lily was on her phone. When she saw me approaching to bed, she put her phone down and smiled. 

"I made you some chamomile tea." She said, nodding to the mug. "It helps me sleep too."

I smiled back at her, and sat down on the bed next to her and began to sip the tea, instantly feeling relief. She wrapped her arms around my waist again and rested her chin on my shoulder. 

"Bad dream?" She asked. 

I nodded and took a sip again. 

"I'm sorry." She whispered, placing a gentle kiss on my neck. 

"It's okay." I whispered back. 

"I'll protect you from all the bad guys." She said, giggling. 

I snorted and took a few large gulps of the tea, already feeling my eyes falling again. I set the cup back down on the table and laid down, Lily following through with me. She pulled me close to her, my head resting against her chest, rising and falling with each breath. I had my arms around her as well, and she played with my hair, which I only allowed her to do. I rubbed her back lightly, making her hum again. 

That sweet hum lulled me right back to sleep. With no bad dreams. I could never imagine my life without Lily and I don't want to imagine my life without her.  She has saved me from myself many times and I owe her everything. 

"I love ya Sar." She whispered, her words a little uneven. She was falling back asleep as well. 

"I love you too Lils." I whispered back, my words also being uneven. 

With that, we both fell back asleep.