chapter 14: christmas

" Sometimes you put a bunch of misfits together and you get a family

" Sometimes you put a bunch of misfits together and you get a family. Sometimes you get a bunch of assholes. But you still love them." 

- unknown

***

On one particular mission, Sobel was leading 1st platoon through a field that they needed to move through in order to make it to meet up with 2nd platoon. Charlotte, who was always attached to second platoon, was put with 1st platoon for the month, and she didn't really mind to be honest, but she had to deal with Sobel and his leading styles, which were a mess. She was used to Winters, cool, calm and collected matter with Lipton, and Petty, but now Evans, Sobel, and poor Tipper, who she didn't blame at all, seemed to be a mess.

" Why is there a fence here?" she heard Sobel call, confusion and desperation evident in his voice. Charlotte nervously moved her medic band adjusting it as well as her satchel.

" There should be no fence here. Tipper!" Sobel turned calling out.

" Yes, sir." Tipper answered, from next to him handing the map over.

" Give me the.....map." he said taking it from Tipper. Sobel looked at it and then sighed turning to the platoon.

" Perconte, Luz. Get the men, Get 'em b-, take cover behind those trees." Sobel stuttered over his words. Charlotte could only shake her head.

" Yes, sir." Perconte answered.

" You heard him, move out!" called Luz.

" Up, up!" called Perconte. Charlotte stayed low next to Luz.

" Freakin guy can't read a god damn map." she mumbled.

" Trying giving him a recipe in our own language." he answered, with a chuckle. Charlotte giggled.

" Hey, Luz. Luz!" called Perconte. Charlotte followed Luz over to the front.

" Hey, can you do Major Horton?" Perconte asked. George Luz was infamously known for his spot on impressions of anybody when the chance came. This was gonna be a sight to see, Charlotte thought biting her lip. Luz cleared his throat and a deep John Wayne voice came out.

" Does a wild bear crap in the woods, son?" he asked, adjusting his gun on his shoulder. Charlotte and Skinny couldn't contain their laughs, as they heaved with chuckles and crashed into each other from laughing so hard.

" Shh, Shh, Shh. Maybe the good major can goose this schmuck." said Perconte." Get us moving."

" No way-"

" Oh yeah, yes."

" You gotta, you gotta."

" Come on, Luz." a chorus of pleas echoed the group of front, Charlotte could only giggle.