chapter 43: two, three syrettes maybe

" You still have a lot of time to make yourself be want you want

" You still have a lot of time to make yourself be want you want."

- S. E. Hinton

***

Charlotte sat with Winters for most of the night until the company returned from Operation Pegasus. They were battered and exhausted but happy for the German retreat. Charlotte had left Winters and gone down to treat wounds from Easy and the British. The British, mostly the ones who hadn't been treated already, or were in too much of a daze to realize, were curious about the Sunshine soldier, Charlotte Tarvers. Charlotte quietly opened the door of the barn where the celebrations had begun and slowly shut the door behind her.

" Sunshine!" She heard a voice call, and everyone froze and looked towards the door, every American and British man in the room.

" Hi." She managed out.

" There's a girl here?" A British voice called out.

" Hey that's my twin sister your talking about here." She heard a voice call as Chuck came running up to her and threw an arm over her shoulder to lead her over to a group of Easy men.

" She ain't your twin sister, Chuck!" Someone else yelled.

" Ok, but she kinda is!" Chuck yelled back as he led her back. She was led through all the British eyes, and felt her cheeks flamed as she arrived where Skinny, Martin, Shifty, Liebgott, Bull, and Popeye were.

" What are you doing here, sunshine?" Martin asked her concerned.

" Winters wanted me to check for injuries for Colonel Dobie." She whispered softly.

" Hey, you ok?" Skinny asked stepping forward. The men noticed how quiet she was, and her soft-spoke voice.

" Yeah." She answered with a nod. She leaned slightly into the side hug Chuck provided. " I'm ok." Skinny nodded.

" Who's this, Liebgott?" A British voice asked Joe, who turned to a group of British men standing there. Joe saw Charlotte smile softly at them.

" Our combat medic, Corporal Charlotte Tarvers, but we call her Sunshine." Joe said confidently.

" We just wanted to come over to you lads and lady to say hello." Another one said. Charlotte quirked a smile before looking at her friends.

" I'm going to go set up a small medical station, I'll see you guys later. " she said.

" Be careful, ok?" Liebgott said to her and she nodded with a smile, as Chuck pulled her into a hug softly. She pulled away before waving to the British men and leaving the scene.

" She young?" The British man asked.

" 19." Bull said. Someone let out a low whistle.

" What's she doing here?" He asked.