🖤8~ A single candle🧡

Tw: mentions of abuse, injuries, death and ghosts. (please tell me if I missed anything.)
Au: human (Victorian era)
Words: 1124

October 8th 2020
23 days until Halloween

•Part 2 of 'Murderer'•
~~~

Around two days had passed since the events in the woods and Remus had been thinking about it nonstop. Currently, Remus was pacing through the hallways of his cabin, his mind wandering.

He'd lived on his own since he was fourteen. His parents had planned to send him to a mental asylum but Remus wouldn't let them, so he ran away. Remus' eyes traveled over to a candle that was laying on the table, it was the last one other than the one that was lighting up the room.

"I have to find him..." Remus sighed and reached out to the shining candle before having a change of mind. He grabbed a match and struck it, lighting the candle that he'd looked at before. He slipped the matches into his pocket and took a deep breath before walking out of the door.

Any sane person would have waited until it was light outside but whenever Remus had an idea, he just had to act on it. Luckily, it wasn't windy so the candles flickering flame was safe for now. Remus had no idea where he was going. He only knew two things; one, he wanted to find Janus and two, he only had a single candle to guide him.

After a while of walking, Remus came across a clearing in the woods, somehow feeling a bit safer. That didn't last long though. As he walked closer, sudden and sharp footsteps came from behind him. Remus turned around swiftly, his eyes widening as the flame almost went out. His heart thumped dramatically in his chest as he looked around him.

Suddenly, he felt a puff of warm air travel across his neck. Then, the candle went out. As he was plunged into darkness, Remus felt himself becoming unusually dizzy and without any further thoughts, he blacked out.

Time skip brought to you by Severus Snape 😌🖤💚

When Remus awoke, he was led down on a surprisingly comfy bed. He sat up slightly and whined, holding his head in discomfort. Despite the undeniably beautiful  room he was in, including things such as an oak dresser, wardrobe and intricately decorated wallpaper, Remus couldn't help the fear that built inside him.

Where was he? How did he get here? Who was that in the woods? What happened?
So many questions buzzed through his clouded mind, causing Remus to hold his head in his hands. He just wanted answers.

Just then, the door opened and a figure stood in the hallway. Remus looked up and a wave of relief washed over him, not yet washing away the confusion though. It was Janus.

"Ah, so you're awake." Janus smiled and walked over to the bed, sitting on the edge. He lifted his hand up so Remus could see that he was holding a cloth. Janus pressed the damp cloth to Remus forehead, smiling once again as Remus relaxed at this.

A few minutes passed and Janus removed the cloth, watching as Remus gasped and reached into his pocket, remembering something. "Here, this... belongs to you." Remus carefully handed Janus to pocket watch he'd left behind a few days ago.

Janus held it in his hands, running a gloved finger over the engraved writing. "Thank you." He shuffled onto the bed more, still keeping his distance from Remus, not wanting to make him uncomfortable. "I'm guessing you have many questions. But first, I want to apologise for scaring you earlier and.. making you go unconscious so I could bring you here." Janus' eyes traveled to the floor as he continued, not wanting to look Remus in the eyes. "I'm not allowed to let strangers know how to get here. The ghosts still apparently count you as a stranger so this was the only way I could have you here."

Remus raised an eyebrow and shivered at the mention of ghosts. He'd been able to see them since he was young. His mother and father always scolded him whenever he would mention them. "Ghosts? Also, why couldn't you talk to me in the woods?"

Janus sighed and convinced himself to make eye contact with Remus. He deserved answers. Janus knew this. "Ghosts of my mother and grandmother, they protect me." Janus smiled and played with the chain of the pocket watch. "I couldn't talk to you in the woods because it's past midnight and it's freezing out there." He stood up and walked over to the window, pulling the silk curtains open.

As Janus stared out of the window, he continued speaking, sure they Remus was waiting for a full explanation. "And... the reason I thanked you for killing my father..." It was Janus turn to shiver, tensing up as he felt a gentle hand on his shoulder. Remus placed a comforting hand on Janus' shoulder as they both looked out the window at the moon.

Remus could sense that this topic that Janus was about to mention was a sensitive one. Janus smiled at Remus' reflection in the window and sighed. "...he abused me. He gave me the bruises, the cuts and the scars." I couldn't do anything right for that man." Janus fought back the urge to tear up as the unpleasant memories of his childhood returned.

"It's okay, Jan, continue whenever you're ready." Remus looked over at Janus and he swore he saw Jan blush at the nickname.

Janus shook his head to rid of the stupid blush and rested his head on Remus' shoulder. "Thank you, Rem." Remus giggled quietly. Janus took a deep breath, feeling comforted by the man next to him. "He'd leave for hours, sometimes days, looking for people and attacking them. You're the first person to ever get the upper hand against him. So that's why I thanked you."

Remus smiled genuinely which was unusual. He opened his arms, offering Janus a hug which was gladly accepted. Janus buried his face into Remus' shirt and inhaled the scent, relaxing. Despite his rough past, he finally felt safe.

Yes, they had found each other through unusual circumstances, but their relationship would only grow from here. Their problems would only help them become closer.

As Remus held Janus in his arms, he thought of how thankful he was to have trusted, a single candle.

I really hope you all liked this part 2! Please let me know if you did. Hopefully it was worth it!

I wrote this while cooking and no I didn't burn my house down!! Be proud of meeee 😌🔥

Anyways, stay safe, stay hydrated and wash your haaanddsss!!

I love you all 💞