Chapter 57

Year 6

JAYNE'S POV

I never thought going to Hogwarts was going to end up like this. If I did, I would have never left Beauxbatons. When I first arrived at the Burrow, I didn't leave my room for a week. Don't get me wrong, the Weasleys are wonderful. Molly is an amazing woman. She taught me to knit, she can cook just about anything and she loves unconditionally. Arthur is great too. He's funny, and tells me a lot of stories about dad. After a while, Fred and George opened their joke shop. They convinced me to help out sometimes. I know everyone is just trying to get me up and going and I appreciate it but I wish I could leave. Everyone is too happy and I can't do it. I told Hermione and Ginny that I ended things with Draco. I also told Harry. He pretended to be upset but I know he wasn't. He feels bad for me, but he is glad it's over. I cried at least 5 times a day when I first got to the burrow. Whether it was because of my dad, or Draco, it varied. Now I don't cry much. I'm numb. I just sit and replay memories of us in my head. Watching him play quidditch, studying together, me healing him, him giving me his ring. All of it. I still haven't taken the necklace off. I can't. It's all I have left of him. Everyday I have to fight the urge to write him a letter. I'm worried about him but I don't know if he wants to hear from me. I miss him.

We go back to school in a few days. Everyone is at Diagon Alley right now getting school supplies. Harry is getting my stuff. I can't go. Not yet. I'm not ready to see everyone.

DRACO'S POV

Just when I thought my life couldn't get any worse, it did. My father was arrested which means someone had to fill his place. After Voldermort tortured both my mother and I, it happened.

I took the dark mark on July 20, 1996.

I am a death eater. Voldemort has given a task to complete and I don't know what to do. I have to repair a vanishing cabinet and I have to...

I have to kill Dumbledore. For the first time, I am actually glad Jayne ended it with me. She deserves so much more than a death eater and a murderer. I have to completely ignore her this year. I can't give Voldemort any reason to believe she means anything to me. If I do, she becomes leverage he will use to make sure I do as I'm told. I won't allow her life to become a bargaining chip. I can't. I still love her and I will die protecting her. My aunt killed her mother, my father killed her father, she can't die because of me. I won't let it happen. She is all I have. Even if she's not mine, I still owe it to Sirius Black to protect her. After all, I'm the reason he can't.

JAYNE'S POV

Today is the day. We leave for Hogwarts. To be honest, I have never dreaded anything more. Seeing Draco, dealing with everyone, all of it. Not to mention Harry, Ron and Hermione. Ever since they got back, they have been acting strange. "Did you hear anything I just said?" Ginny asked. Ginny, Hermione and I were packing and talking. I zoned out though. I have been doing that a lot lately. "No sorry, what did you say?" I asked. "I asked how you are feeling about going back to Hogwarts?" Ginny said. "Fine, I'm fine with it." I lied. "That's good. I think this year will be better. No Umbridge, No Blaise, No Draco" Hermione said. My heart ached at the mention of Draco. I shuddered at the thought of Blaise. He was expelled and not coming back. But it still slightly bothered me that he just vanished that night. I pushed it to the back of my mind. "Girls! Bedtime!" Mrs. Weasley called. We all said goodnight and went to bed. I tossed and turned all night. Eventually, I decided to get some water. I looked at the clock. 1:30am. I went down all the stairs and to the kitchen. I grabbed a glass and filled it with water. I leaned against the counter and tried not to think about school. "Jayne?" I whipped my head around to see Harry. He was sweaty and his left hand was shaking slightly. "Couldn't sleep?" he asked. I nodded. "Nightmare?" I asked and he nodded. "I know you keep telling everyone you are fine, but do you want to tell me how you are actually doing?" he asked. I shrugged. "That's all I can say really. I don't know how I feel. I don't really feel anything. I don't cry anymore. I just miss him. Both of them. I miss dad and I miss Draco." I said. Harry tensed at Draco's name. "Why were you all acting so strange when you got back from Diagon Alley?" I asked. "I wasn't- We weren't" he stammered. I rolled my eyes. "Whatever, I'm going to bed." I said and headed for the stairs when Harry grabbed my arm. I flinched and he let go. "Sorry, I forgot" he said and I nodded. "Remember when I told you we were gonna be ok?" he asked. I nodded. "We are. I promise Jayne. I'm always gonna be here for you." he said. I hugged him tightly. "I know" I whispered.