♕15: Sympathy♕

Excitement filled the trainees as their graduation drew near. (Y/n) finally felt that she could take a break from evaluating and training the new cadets but agonizing for her that Reiner's plan to lure out the Founding Titan will still carry on. The respectable Lance Corporal knew it too well that some of them will die. All the blood that is about to be spilled and the burden will be finally placed on your shoulder. (Y/n) finally understood why Erwin seems unfazed with the deaths of his comrades.

(Y/n) went in the mess hall where all the new cadets were socializing and celebrating their three years of hard work and training. You were wearing your long olive-green military uniform, and your (h/c) hair was tied up. Walking around the mess hall and congratulating the cadets that passed by (Y/n), she made her way to Jean, who was sitting alone while eyeing Eren. He was mumbling about how he was ranked below Eren, so you confronted the horse in distress.

"Unlike you, Eren has a clear purpose in his life." You sat on the table and crossed your arms as you looked at Jean, who was slightly shocked by your presence.

"I'd rather live inside the interior than be Titan chow for your Scout Regiment." Jean straightforwardly answered, but you didn't budge at his words.

"Jean-boy, with the excellent ODM skills that you have. You're just putting it to waste by joining the Military Police." You gave him a half-smile but received a blush of embarrassment from Jean. He took his gaze off you as he muttered to himself.

"I'm leaving for Recon Corps tomorrow. You better take one good look at my pretty face before I'm gone." You stated and ruffled his hair as you walked out. Jean's eyes followed your figure as he tries to understand what you meant. Contemplating to what you said, he remembered the time when his mother encountered you.

*Flashback*

Everybody was at the mess hall of Trost District, Jean and his teammates talked to one another about what they should do to beat Sasha's team at the cook-off. You were helping Eren and Mikasa unload some things from a carriage when a middle-aged woman was looking for his son.

"Excuse me, do you know where I can find Jean-boy...uh I mean Jean Kirschtein." She asked while she holds a basket in her hands.

"Right this way, Ma'am. I'd call him for you." You smiled and left Mikasa and Eren to finish the work. Jean's mother followed behind. You opened the door to the mess hall for her to enter.

"Jean! Your mother is here!" You announced, which caught half of the crowd's attention. You were expecting Jean to express his love and how much he missed his mother. But to your dismay, it was the opposite. He pushed his mother away and shouted at her with full disrespect. It left everybody surprised, and you could see how his mother was embarrassed.

His mother walked out of the mess hall with tears streaming down. You followed her outside and gently called her. "Mrs. Kirschtein, I'm sorry for the way Jean acted towards you." You said and bowed your head.

"Jean used to be such a sweet boy. I didn't know what I did to make him that way." She leaned her back on a wall and tightly gripped the basket she's carrying. "I'll talk to him, Mrs. Kirschtein. He's my responsibility, after all." You said and rubbed your nape in guilt.

"Could you give him this when you talk to him? It's his favorite meal since he was a child." She forced a smile and gave a packed lunch. "Yes, ma'am." You smiled back at her and went to find Jean.

It didn't take long for you to find Jean, who was sneaking to the officer's pantry. You furrowed your eyebrows in utter disappointment as it was clear, he was planning on stealing meat.

"Jean," You coldly called. "(Y/n)?!" Jean's hair went up as he was startled by your presence.

"Tch... planning on being a Military Police my ass... here!" You harshly shoved the packed lunch into Jean's hands as you started storming off.