♟71: Ocean Eyes♟

Warning: Zeke simps might cry

Third Person P.O.V.

"I haven't given up on anything yet," Armin answered, determined to find a way out of the domain of boundless sand and countless stars. Zeke shrugged off what Armin said and continued to state senseless answers of multiplication of species, trying to understand the point to keep fighting.

"My friends, they're fighting right now!! Because we can still save so many people from terror! What we're doing is fighting fear-"

"What would be wrong with losing that fight? You know that to live means to one day die, does it now?" Armin remained silent at the realization that everything was futile.

"Who knows... perhaps one's final moments bring relief may be the end of your days being manipulated all in the name of survival without ever knowing if it means anything at all. Feels like freedom." 

Zeke muttered and continued building his sandcastle. It dawned at Armin that it was hopeless at he looked down and saw a dry leaf beneath the sand, which was from the tree Eren, Mikasa, and he runs to.

"The sun was starting to set; we were running to a tree on the hill... The three of us were racing... Eren brought up the idea and took off out of nowhere. Mikasa ran too but stayed behind him on purpose. And, of course, I was dead last, but the breeze was nice and warm that day. Just running felt good. For some reason, I thought then, maybe, the reason I was born was so that the three of us could be racing there." 

Armin dusted off some more sand from the ground until his hand finally found a string with a platinum ring on it.

"These trivial moments might actually be precious." Zeke's eyes widened as he saw the metal that Armin picked luster over the azure light. It was the ring he gave you before you leave for Paradis.

"Why is that-"

"This? It was buried in the sand. Who knows? But to my eyes, there's no need for something like this to multiply. It's still something incredibly precious."

Realization finally hit Zeke. You never wanted him to do anything great for you and the Eldians. Those small hours of walking around the streets of Liberio until the both of you know every corner as kids, playing catch with Mr. Ksaver, dancing to slow music in the small living room late in the night, and embracing one another's warmth were all that mattered to you. Those are what you cherished the most.

"You're right... just throwing and catching or dancing in circles again and again. That simple repetition. It doesn't mean a thing, but you're right. I would have much rather just kept on walking by her side, just like the restless wanderers I promised we would be." 

He felt the silhouette of familiar people behind, making him turn his head as he saw Mr. Ksaver, Porco, Marcel, and all the past predecessors of the nine titan shifters.

He stood up and looked at everybody, but before he talks to Mr. Ksaver and his father, his eyes landed on you still being one with the light, glowing azure, and cerulean blue. 

Zeke walked past them and stood before you as you stared down at him with your (h/c) hair now long and wavy. It was evident in his eyes that he could never hide his sadness and weakness from you.

You tilted your head to the left with your lips slightly curved downwards, gesturing him to spill whatever he has to say.

"Took me long enough to know what you really wanted for me, for the both of us. I never understood why you were sadly crying when you were halfway walking down the aisle during our wedding, but I realize that now. You saw it coming, didn't you?"