♕20: True Face♕

You watched as Levi's squad passed by the trap. Immediately, it was followed by the Female Titan getting shot with harpoon guns on every tendon of her Titan body. Levi landed on the same tree branch that you and Erwin are standing on. You rolled your eyes at him at how he arrogantly showed off when getting to you. Levi unsheathed his blade, but Erwin stopped him when he signaled more harpoons to trap the Female Titan.

*Flashback*

You were waiting at a pub in Stohess District of Wall Sina to meet up with Annie. The place was simple, and there were only a few people, mostly drunk. It was a hot summer night. Sipping your whiskey, you heard the door lightly open as you saw Annie wearing her Military Police uniform.

"How was the interior for you?" You asked as you set your glass down while Annie took a seat across you.

"It's dull. You're really proud of wearing that uniform of yours." Annie said as she took your glass and gulped the whiskey.

"You're doing the same, and you're not even a citizen here." You smirked as you filled the empty shot glass. "I didn't come here to chit-chat." Your voice shifted into a pressing tone.

Annie just looked at you with her usual deadpan face as your eyes double-checked whether someone is listening, but it seems like they're too drunk to eavesdrop on you.

"In two days, the expedition would take place, and it wouldn't be a challenge if I told you and your gang the whole formation and plan... But I'll tell you my location, and that is the direction from where you'll come." You took the shot glass and gulped the whiskey.

"Then you're sentencing your cadets and comrades to death." She said with her monotonous tone as she raised her eyebrows at you.

"For all, I care you could wipe them out." You said as you sternly looked at her in the eyes.

"I thought you cared for the people of this island?" She asked. She was surprised at how you changed from worrying about the casualties to being disinterested.

"I do, but only the people that were closest to me."

"Then you're betraying the-" "No, I am simply buying time to what is about to happen." It halted Annie as she was puzzled at what you're saying. You heaved a heavy sigh as you prepared yourself to vent the truth as to why you suddenly made the game complicated.

"You're the only person that I will tell this secret. I trust you wouldn't tell anyone of this, not even Reiner and Bertolt." You placed your elbows on the table as you held your hands together. Annie leaned forward to attentively listen to your explanation.

"A week before, during lunch at HQ, I accidentally touched Krista's hand, when she was taking my dirty dishes. It felt like I was trapped in a distorted dream for how many years, but it wasn't a dream but a vision, bits of it. I caught a glimpse of The Rumbling, and it started with the Scout Regiment having a war somewhere in Wall Maria." There was no remorse or trepidation in your eyes as your voice sounded cold. What you said made Annie's hands quiver in fear.

"Is that why you never told anything to them about outside the wall because of that? You let them remain ignorant because you're trying to prevent The Rumbling?" She stammered at her words.

"Prevention is a different term. The Rumbling is simply inevitable. I'm just delaying it as much as I can. I'm trying to live a normal life as much as I can, but it seems impossible." You poured whiskey on the shot glass, and Annie took a sip on it. She could see it from your eyes, how desperate you were and how much of a burden was put on your shoulders.