07

Molly

MOLLY WOKE UP earlier than usual after barely sleeping during the night. She couldn't stop thinking about her conversation with Jordan. His excuse for having her followed seemed simple, so why would he need to see her face to face to tell her? There had to be more to it. Whatever was really going on, it must have been serious if it meant she had to have a guard. Before she'd hung up with him, she agreed to not give Nate any more grief. She mentally berated herself for getting caught up in online rumors and for doubting his commitment to her.

She sat up on her bed with her knees curled up in front of her and stared out the window. The rain was falling gently from the sky onto the few remaining leaves on the trees. The grey skies matched her mood. The soft patter of rain and the distant rumble of thunder gave her peace. Molly sipped on her coffee and thought through her schedule for the next few days: two classes today, one tomorrow, and two Friday before her flight to Boston. She still had three hours until her first class, but there was no way she was going to be able to sleep any more. Needing a positive distraction, she opened the closet and removed her bag to begin packing for her trip.

No sooner had she thought of him than her phone buzzed. Molly picked it up and smiled at his text. He was up early. She wondered if he'd slept at all either.

Jordan: Couldn't sleep. Just wanted you to know I love you.

Molly: I love that you love me. I couldn't sleep either. Miss you.

She put down her phone, thinking the conversation was over. Her phone buzzed again.

Jordan: Tomorrow after my concert, I'm flying down there to be with you. Tell Zoe you're mine for the night.

Molly felt panicked. He couldn't come down. She was going up, or over, or wherever it was she was going. What could she say?

Molly: That's so sweet of you, but I took extra shifts Thursday and Friday night. I decided not to go to the party after all and work instead.

Jordan: I'm still coming. I need to see you. I need to put my arms around you and make you feel how much you mean to me.

Moly's heart ached. She walked the length of the room as she tried to come up with the right words to say. He was amazing. Her heart filled with love for him, knowing he'd come down in a second if she needed him. If she weren't already coming to surprise him, she would have screamed with joy. Now she needed to steer him away.

Molly: I know how much I mean to you. I really do. Please just stay there. I promise we're fine. We're more than fine. I love you for wanting to rush to my side, but you promised Max you'd be there for him and you can't let him down.

There was a long pause, and Molly worried he might think she didn't want to see him. His responding text confirmed her suspicion.

Jordan: Okay.

Madi fell into her desk chair. This day was going to suck. She just pushed him away and he didn't know why. She could imagine his pained expression while reading the text. She hoped and prayed time would move quickly. She needed him and she knew he needed her. She couldn't wait to throw her arms around him and feel his lips on hers.

If they were going to make this work, they needed to be together. Once again, she considered the possibility of moving to Boston. She knew Jordan wanted her there. It's where he needed to be for his work. Could she bend for him? As much as she loved him and the city, it scared her to be so far from home. She'd have to find a job out there and she probably wouldn't have enough time off to come home very often. She'd miss her parents and Zoe terribly. When she was there for the summer, she felt fine, but she also knew she was coming home after a couple of months. Moving out there in May would be permanent. Could she do it? Molly weighed being apart from her family versus being away from Jordan. The idea of not being with him made it hard to breathe.