33

Molly

SHE RESTED HER head on his shoulder as the car drove onward. Christmas with his family was magical. They treated her like she belonged. Jordan's mom had been quick to point out how she knew he had feelings for her from the start. The stories about Jordan as a child made her love him even more.

She squeezed his arm as the happiness overwhelmed her. Jordan pensively stared out the window, his fist to his mouth. When he felt her movement, he turned toward her and lifted his arm around her.

"Did you have a good time?" he asked.

"The best. You never did tell me what my third present was."

He sighed. "I'll tell you if you promise me you'll accept it without giving me any crap."

"Wow. You make it sound so appealing."

He smirked. "It's already done, so you can't take it back."

"Okay..." She studied him warily.

"I paid off your tuition and your college loans."

"What?" she asked, jolting upright. "You didn't!"

He sighed. "Listen... before you start..."

"You had no right to do that! Those loans were mine. I was handling them just fine. I don't want your money!"

"I know you don't. That's why I did it."

"Jordan..." Molly cringed as she closed her eyes and took a deep breath. "I told you that everything I have is yours. I don't want you moving to Boston with any worries over your head."

"I don't need you to take care of me. I can take care of myself."

"I know you can," he sighed. "Please just accept my gift."

"Can I pay you back?" she asked.

He sighed. "No."

"Dammit, Jake. Why do you always have to control everything?"

"I wish I could control everything." A smile dangled on the corner of his lips for a moment before his head turned back to the window.

Molly recognized the look on his face. She decided to let this conversation go for another time.

"Please don't worry," she begged.

"It's that obvious, huh?"

"Only to me. I think you did a good job of covering with your family. You almost seemed present the whole day."

"Almost?" he mumbled.

"You have that distant, far-off look in your eyes today, and although I find your brooding extremely sexy, right now it has me more concerned than anything."

"I know he's out there watching, plotting and planning. I hate having to sit and wait for him to make a move. I hate it all."

"Maybe we should lure him out?" Molly added.

Jordan turned full-on to face her.

"Are you suggesting that I put you in harm's way, on the off chance that he'll make a move and I'll be able to protect you?"

"Well, it sounded a lot better in my head, but when you put it that way..."

Jordan rattled his head.

"I would never put you at risk. There's no way I'd take that chance with you."

"It's not like he doesn't know I'm here. I'm sure by now the pictures of you and me strolling through O'Hare and BOS together have gone viral."