43

Molly

Molly allowed Zoe to dress her. She was prepared to go meet Sidney in her yoga pants until Zoe convinced her she needed to play dress up. Molly actually laughed watching Zoe dance around and fix her up. It was one of the few times Molly had forgotten how awful she felt. She would get up with thoughts of waking up beside him, she would think about him throughout the day, and she would dream about him when she slept. Most of the time, she dreamt of him on the hill. She'd dreamt of his face in pain or when he told her he didn't want her like that.

She tried to focus on the fact that she would be able to see him again. It made her heart feel better at the thought of being near him. She hated that she had let herself fall apart. She tried to analyze how she let it happen and why. She decided that love just couldn't be explained in words or generalized. It was its own dysfunction and had its own category.

Zoe wanted to go with her and seemed impressed when Molly told her she needed to go on her own. Molly laughed when Zoe said it was for the best that she wasn't there. "I might feel the urge to run on stage and stick my foot up his ass."

Molly pulled into the parking lot and felt her body start to ache. She could sense he was near. Just knowing he was in the building across from her made her heart rate increase. How could he have such an effect on her? How could the nearness of him make her feel stronger somehow? Would she ever be able to live without him? She would have to find a way. She could do this. She would not let him break her again.

She texted Sidney to let her know she was there and Sidney told her what gate to go to. Molly took a deep breath and looked down at herself. She had somehow managed to fit into Zoe's red v-neck blouse and her faded boot-cut jeans. She'd lost weight. Apparently not eating could do that.

Molly inched slowly toward the gate. She felt her heart race. She missed him so badly. She felt for a moment that she could smell him. She couldn't do it. As she turned to go back, she heard Sidney's voice.

"Oh no you don't! Get over here and give me a hug!"

Molly had to smile. Seeing Sidney made her feel a little better. She was always so kind and reassuring. Sidney gave her a pass to wear and the guard let her through.

"Look at you! Molly, have you lost weight?"

"A little."

Sidney furrowed her brows as she ushered Molly through the door. Her heart felt as though it might jump out of her chest and run for the car. "I timed it out so you would get here after intermission. After the concert, you and I will go to dinner and catch up!"

Sidney hugged her and Molly found herself holding onto her tightly. Being near Sidney reminded Molly of being in LA and being near Jordan. She had started to feel like maybe the whole thing had been a dream.

Molly could hear him. He was finishing a song and the crowd was screaming. Then, she could see him from the side. He looked like Jordan. He was wearing a long-sleeved, button-down shirt with faded jeans and black shoes. He had his trademark stubble that made him look sexy and tough at the same time. He smiled and waved to the crowd and as he began to speak, Molly closed her eyes and took in the sound of his voice. She hadn't heard him in so long and his voice pierced through her soul. She suddenly felt she could breathe a little easier just being near him. She watched his movements and looked at his body. She closed her eyes and all the memories came flooding in: sitting on the couch with him, packing boxes, playing video games, watching him at the piano, driving in his car, laughing with him, his lips on her forehead, his hands in the car outside his parents' house, waking with her head on his chest, his smell, his smile, his voice, his pain, his touch, his kiss. Her thoughts had gone on and on. How long had she stood there thinking of him? It was too much. Molly wanted to leave.