34

"THANKS AGAIN FOR coming to get me, Gina."

"I'm glad to get to spend some time with you. It's been too long."

"I appreciate your willingness to drive me around aimlessly. I just needed to get some air."

Gina smiled warily. "Jordan's going to be pissed you snuck out on Rob."

Molly huffed. "I know. I guess I'd better call him and tell him I'm okay. It's been almost an hour since I left. If I'm lucky, Rob might not have even noticed I'm gone."

She sighed. "It's not like we don't have your guard with us."

She turned to see another car following closely behind.

"Yeah, he's a drag. I wish he would have given Rob to me. My guard is old and nasty. Rob's pretty hot."

Molly laughed as she reached into her purse for her phone. Her hand searched frantically, pushing everything around inside.

"Shoot!" she yelled. "I think I left it on the bathroom sink.

"Oh, crap!" Gina mumbled.

They glanced at each other and started to laugh.

"Can I borrow yours?" Molly asked, setting her purse down on the floorboard.

"Umm, I kinda left mine at home, too. I don't know what I was thinking. I rushed out in such a hurry when you called; I forgot all about it."

"Uh oh. This isn't good. I didn't want to worry him. I just didn't want Rob babysitting me all night." "I get it. You don't have to explain it to me."

"Maybe you'd better take me back."

Gina smiled. "Good idea."

Forty minutes later, they pulled up in front of the building.

"Aren't you going to come in?" Molly asked Gina.

"And face the wrath of my brother? No thanks. You're on your own."

Molly smiled apprehensively as she waved Gina's car away. She cringed as she put in the code to the building and walked up the stairs. Regret hit her like a bus. She shouldn't have acted so selfishly. Jordan was worried enough about everything without her having to pull a childish stunt like this. She hoped he'd forgive her. Actually, more than anything, she hoped he wasn't home.

She turned her key in the lock. The chain was over the door, and she couldn't get in.

"Rob? It's Molly. Could you open up?" No
answer. "Jordan Are you in there? Look, I'm sorry. I know I messed up. Can we please talk about this?"

Within a few seconds, she saw him approaching her through the crack of the door. He stood at the door, staring at her. She recognized the agony in his face.

"I'm sorry. I know it was stupid and completely insensitive of me to run off like that. I was just really angry and I didn't think."

"No. You didn't," he grumbled.

"Are you going to open the door?" she asked.

Jordan reluctantly removed the chain, but positioned himself in the doorway so she couldn't get past him.

"Come on. Please. Let's just talk about this," she begged.

"I can't do this anymore, Molly. I just can't."

"What do you mean?" she asked in confusion.

"This thing, with us. The last few days, I've been really struggling with this whole situation. I decided that I can barely take care of myself, much less you."