32

Molly

ZOE AND ROB tried to act like nothing had happened when they came back inside. Molly tried to pry, but Zoe was keeping quiet. She whispered to Molly that she'd call her later, before she left for L.A.

Jordan lumbered out of his office, followed by Steve, and Molly's breath caught in her throat. She hadn't seen them leave together, and Jordan looked slightly beaten down. As Jordan spoke with Dee, Molly motioned for her father to come join her in the kitchen.

"What is it?" he asked.

"What were you and Jordan talking about back there?"

"Nothing, really," he shrugged.

"Daddy, you're lying."

"Just a little man-to-man conversation. Do you know the ladies in the office have started asking me to get his autograph?" Steve leaned on the counter, folding his arms in irritation.

"You're not going to tell me what you talked about, are you? Just so you know, Jordan would never hurt me. He loves me and I love him."

"You do, don't you?" he asked with regard. "I really do. I need you to be nice to him. He's the only other man I've ever really loved besides you, and it would mean everything to me if I knew you liked him."

Molly's father kissed her cheek. "I'm not sure I'd like any man you dated, but as long as he makes you happy, I'm happy."

After everyone had gone, Molly slumped against the door, sliding to the floor, blowing the bangs out of her eyes. Jordan watched her and strained his hand through his hair.

"My family," she said, shaking her head.

"Your family is amazing, just like you."

"My father's gone. There are no more points for brown nosing."

"Who said I was kissing his ass?"

"What were you two talking about?" Molly asked.

Jordan's hand scratched through his hair once again as he slid down the door next to her.

"He wanted to make sure I'd take care of you."

Molly shook her head. "I'm so sorry. He means well." Jake turned toward her.

"Of course he does. If I ever had a daughter, I wouldn't let her near someone like me."

"How can you say that?" she asked. "If I had a daughter, I'd be thrilled if she met someone like you. She'd be a lucky girl."

"Well, no daughter of mine will be dating a musician," Jordan replied adamantly as he stood, holding out his hand to help Molly up.

Molly grasped his hand.

"Oh, I see. So a musician is good enough for her mother, but not good enough for her?" Molly asked as she stood, placing her hands on her hips.

A slow smile crept across Jordan's face and he licked his lips, glancing down then back up to stare at her, squinting his eyes.

Molly's smile faded immediately and she suddenly felt all the air rush out of her lungs. Her eyes and arms fell to the floor and she began to panic, considering how she could take it back.

Jordan's head turned to the side as he examined her reaction. His hands slid into his pockets. She knew he was waiting for her. She felt a rush of warmth on her face. Memories of his bedroom when they first met came flooding into her mind.
They stood in silence for what seemed an eternity, with Jordan staring at her, unmoving, giving nothing.