26

Molly

MOLLY PACED BACK and forth in front of an open glass door at her parent's house. She straightened her long, shiny grey sweater over her black leggings and clicked the heels of her black boots together, like Dorothy wanting to go home. She played with her necklace in her fingers, glancing blankly into space. Her head bolted upright when she heard the whoosh of snow under approaching tires. It was just another snowplow. Six inches had fallen Wednesday morning, followed by an ice storm. Only in Chicago could it snow and thunder at the same time. Jordan's flight from L.A. Wednesday morning had been cancelled due to weather conditions. She was devastated. She'd been dying to be with him since he'd left her dorm, and now, as she paced in front of her parent's door, she wondered if she'd see him at all.

The last she'd spoken to him, five hours ago, he was sitting in first class, waiting for his plane to leave the runway.

"I promise you, baby, I'll be there today. If I have to buy my own plane and fly it myself, I will be there for Thanksgiving."

Molly glanced down at her phone. No missed messages. It was noon. He should have been there by now.

"So how long have you two been dating?" Molly's mother asked suspiciously from the kitchen, staring at Rob and Zoe.

Rob's hand rested uncomfortably on his neck as he glared at Zoe through the tops of his eyes.

"It's been weeks now," Zoe stated happily, linking her arm into Rob's and resting her head on his shoulder, playing the part a little too well. "Isn't he just the cutest little sugar bear you ever saw?" she asked as she lifted her hand to squeeze Rob's cheek with her fingers.

Molly pursed her lips and giggled to herself as another car rushed down the street, causing hope and immediate disappointment.

Zoe's parents decided on a last-minute trip to Denver for Thanksgiving to visit some friends. They assumed Zoe would have plans, so they didn't bother to include her. Molly hadn't wanted her to sit home alone on Thanksgiving, so she insisted that she come along. They were going to say that Rob was Jordan's friend, coming in from L.A. with him. Jordan's flight being cancelled caused a change of plans. Jordan offered the idea that they pretend Rob was Zoe's new boyfriend. Molly loved it—and him—for being brilliant and for fueling Molly's matchmaking operation. The idea of pretending had been met with a "Hell no!" from Zoe and a "You've got to be kidding me" from Rob, but Molly was able to use her need for them both to convince them there was no other way. Zoe was taking her role a little too seriously, and seemed to be enjoying making Rob as uncomfortable as possible.

Molly felt her father's arm slide around her shoulder. "He'll be here, pumpkin. Stop worrying."

Molly smiled at him, nodding her head, pretending she believed it. She closed her eyes as he kissed the back of her head and trudged into the kitchen.

"So, Rob," Molly's father began. "Are you a Bears fan? Cause if you're not, you're not allowed to sit near me during dinner."

"I'm a huge Bears fan, Mr. Potter." He shifted uncomfortably as Zoe placed her head back onto his shoulder and fanned her fingers up and down his back.

Madi leaned on the doorframe and watched her father speak to Rob. Zoe turned toward her and grimaced to Molly as she twisted her arm into Rob's once again.

A car door slamming caused Molly to pivot toward the front door. Her eyes bulged out of her head as a smoking hot Jordan, dressed in jeans, black lace-up boots, a button-down black wool coat, and a scarf draped around his neck, began his walk up the driveway.

The limo pulled away. He was wearing sunglasses and carrying flowers. He looked like a model. He was the most beautiful man she'd ever seen.

Molly bolted from the door, sliding in the driveway as she ran to him. He smiled as she approached and caught her as she flew into him, lifting her legs around his waist.