38

Molly

She'd left the room and searched for him but he was nowhere to be found. She called his cell and he didn't answer. Molly felt frantic. Where was he? She didn't want to say the last words. She had forgotten what the guard had said to her until just before she had to say it. She knew it would hurt Jordan and it killed her to say it. She knew he was blaming himself, and she didn't know what to do. She had to find him.

Dave saw her and asked what he could do to help. When she told him she needed to find Jordan, he told her he had seen him take off in his car. Molly felt her heart sink. She tried to think of where he would go to hide; not his place, not his parents. Then it hit her, the hill. The hill he had shown her, where he went when he was fifteen. Molly thought about the age Callie was when she was abused, and the age difference between them. He had gone there after Callie. Could he be there again? Could she find it? She raced to Sidney.

"I know this is asking a lot, but can I please borrow your car? I need to find him. I need to find Jordan."

Sidney pulled her keys out and told Molly to be careful. It took her a while. She had to retrace their steps from when Jordan had taken her sightseeing. She backtracked multiple times. It was almost four when she saw his car by the hill. She felt relieved when she had found him, but then she worried what she would say to him. She parked the car and climbed the hill. He was sitting on the edge looking out with his forearms resting on his knees. He had a leaf in his hands and he was pulling tiny pieces off as he looked off in the distance. He looked like a lost fifteen-year-old boy and she wanted nothing more than to save him. She walked quietly up behind him. He didn't hear her until she was super close to him. He turned his head slightly and he must have seen her out of the corner of his eye.

"You found me, huh?"

"I've been looking for hours."

"I guess you have a better memory than I thought."

Molly stood over him for a moment. "May I sit down?"

He looked up at her through the glare from the sun. "Of course."

She sat down next to him and then scooted over so that her leg was against his. She tapped him lightly with her leg. He looked at her briefly, made a snuffing sound to acknowledge her, looked back down at the leaf and then back up at the city.

"I should have known you'd find me," he said sadly.

"Were you hiding from me?"

"No, I was hiding from me."

"I'm so sorry. I didn't want to say it. I didn't want you to hear it," Molly could feel the tears threaten her eyes once again.

"It's not your fault," he said as he nudged her. "You were just repeating what the fucker said to you. I'm sorry you had to go through so much. I'm sorry I left the way I did."

"Why did you leave?" she asked.

"I just didn't want anyone to see me like this. I just need a little time and I'll be fine."

"Please tell me what you're thinking."

He looked down at her and took her hand. He turned it over and ran his fingers along her wrist. "Does it hurt?"

"Not when you touch it."

"Molly, why do you always say things like that?"

"Like what?"

"Things to make me think I'm not hurting you."

"Because you're not. Do think for one second I would hold back if I was angry with you or if I thought you had done something wrong? Have I ever held back before? Have I not told you when I thought you were an ass, or a prick, or when I wanted you to fuck off? If you hurt me, do think I would refrain from letting you know?"