39

Molly

There was something in his eyes that told her this was big. "What is it?"

"Please," he pleaded. "Stay. Don't... don't get in the car."

"I'll be fine," she reassured. "I'll just follow you, okay?"

"No... I don't want you to drive. You'll die. I don't want you to die." Jordan started to pace and his hands gripped his hair.

"What are you talking about?" He was starting to frighten her. She'd never seen him like this before. He was always in control.

"I can't lose you. Not you. You can't drive. Please promise me you won't drive away when you're upset with me."

Molly was at a loss. What was happening? Why was he so upset about her driving? What did he mean she would die? "Look at me." She pulled his arm forcing him to face her. "I'm not going to die. I'm right here." She tried to smile at him but his face was unreachable. He was somewhere else. "Talk to me. Why do you think I would die if I drove?"

"You're upset. You're mad at me." He looked past her as he spoke like he was talking to someone else.

"I've been mad at you before. What's going on? You're scaring me."

Jordan's hands ran through his hair as he turned back toward her. He seemed to finally see her and come back from whatever place he had been. His face creased as he took a deep breath. "Just stay with me. Don't leave."

Molly furrowed her eyes as she tried to read his mind. How could she reach him? How could she get him to talk to her? "Why are you worried about me driving when I'm angry with you? I don't understand."

"Don't analyze... Just sit with me."

Jordan sat down on the hill and motioned for Molly to join him. There was a nervousness about him that Molly hadn't seen before. She sat down next to him and took his hand in hers, noting his breath hitched as she touched him. She ran her fingers over his, staring down at how such strong hands could belong to someone with so many fears. "Do you feel like you know me?" Molly asked.

Jordan lifted his eyes from their hands and studied her face. "I think so."

"Do you feel like I know you?"

The corner of his mouth curled up into a grin and Molly caught her own breath. "Better than most," Jordan replied.

"Do you trust me? I mean really, trust me?"

"What do you mean, Molly?"

"Do you think that I would tell anyone the things that you said to me, ever? Do you believe me when I tell you that I would never want to cause you pain?"

Jordan smiled. "I do trust you. There are things I've told you that I've never shared with anyone. Yesterday, when that fucker attacked you... You were worried about me. In the moment when you should have been scared, you were thinking about me. You wouldn't go to the hospital because of the press. Because you were concerned for me. Do you have any idea how that makes me feel? I've never met anyone who thought so selflessly about other people. I saw something in you yesterday that I hadn't taken the time to see before, but it was always there. You think about everyone else first. You are the least selfish person I have ever met. You make me want to be better. You make me want to deserve someone like you."

Molly could feel the tears threatening her eyes. She loved him so deeply. "The man that you are... you're amazing. Don't you see? You make me who I am. Being around you makes me stronger."