03

Molly

SHE REREAD HER last three texts from Zoe as she thumped her foot in her chair in the campus grill. Molly was certain Zoe had asked her to meet her there for lunch, but Zoe was twenty minutes late. Zoe had been more preoccupied than usual with her music classes this semester. She could play several instruments beautifully, thanks to her affluent upbringing, and was working on her final composure for a class. Molly wondered where her inspirations came from. She was extremely talented, but sometimes lacked drive. Her texts sounded anxious as Molly read them, and they made her start to worry something was wrong.

As Molly studied her texts for clues, she could feel Zoe's presence from the sudden change in the room. A waiter dropped a tray and two guys tripped over themselves to get her attention. Molly glanced up to see heads turn as Zoe strutted toward her.

"Hey, bitch. Sorry I'm late." Zoe plopped down in a chair and her backpack fell to the floor.

Zoe frowned. "I was beginning to think I'd made a mistake. What's going on? You have me worried."

Zone's eyes darted around the room. "I need to talk to you, but first I need food. I'm flipping starving."

Molly knew all too well that Zoe couldn't focus when she was hungry. Zoe grabbed a menu and eyed Molly suspiciously.

"You don't need to see a menu?" she asked.

"Nope. I know what I want."

"Let me guess: the standard boring chicken salad you always order?" Zoe rolled her eyes as she glanced around for the waiter.

"No, today I'm having a chicken sandwich," Molly said proudly.

"Wow," Zoe said sarcastically. "The fine piece of ass has really changed you."

"Hey... I thought you'd be happy I'm trying something different."

"It's a real stretch, Molly," Zoe laughed as she put her menu down.

"I'll have the steak the next time I see Jordan," Molly whispered with a smirk. Zoe rolled her eyes, but couldn't help but smile at the comment.

After they placed their order, Zoe began munching on some chips at the table. "Okay, I need to ask you something, and you have to promise me that you'll be completely honest, no matter how much you think the truth may hurt me."

Molly broke a chip in her hand as she turned her head and thoughtfully glared at Zoe. "You know I'm always honest with you. What's going on? Is this about that drummer from Louie's or that selfish prick, Mark?"

Zoe waved her hand in the air. "No, fuck them both. This about me and my future."

"You have my interest. Spill," Molly said as she leaned forward, focusing intently.

"So, I've given it some thought, and I think that after we graduate, I may want to teach music. To kids... You know, like first graders."

Molly could feel her face scrunch up into a ball. "Umm... kids? First graders?"

Zoe's shoulders fell. "Yes. Why do you sound so surprised?"

Molly clenched her lips together, attempting to keep herself from laughing. "You do realize that you can't call them little fuckers, right?"

Zoe chuckled. "I know, I need to work on my vocabulary, but I was thinking I might like to mold the little shits. You know?"

Molly laughed. "Little shits?"

"Little bastards?" Zoe questioned.

"Little darlings might be better," Molly giggled. "I'm having a hard time trying to picture you talking to nervous parents at a recital."