25

Molly

MOLLY TIGHTENED THE laces on her tennis shoes as Zoe kicked into a punching bag. "Why in the hell are we here again, and why did you insist I wear these stupid little shorts while you get to wear sweats?" Zoe questioned.

"Animal" by Neon Trees blasted into the speakers of the private training room Molly reserved in the University gym. "I knew we'd be moving around and sweating, and I know how pissy you get when you're overheated." Molly stood and checked the time on her phone before stuffing it into her bag.

"I can't believe you're suddenly interested in exercise. Trying to tone your muscles or build them to handle lover boy better?"

"You'll see," Molly said, smiling.

Just as she said the words, Zoe's eyes sprung to the door. Her hands went to her hips and she sighed. "We don't need you here to watch us, voyeur."

Molly turned and smiled as Rob strutted into the room, adjusting the tape on his wrists.

"I'm not here to watch, Ms. Parker. I'm here to teach."

Zoe glared at Molly. "Oh, fuck no. I'm not staying for this shit." Zoe bent to pick up her bag and Molly saw Rob do a double take toward her ass before continuing to adjust his tape.

"That's fine with me. I wasn't told I was offering a class," he replied.

"Zoe, wait..." Molly reached for her and she paused, huffing in frustration. "Rob is trained in mixed martial arts and this stuff called Jiu-J..." she glanced toward him.

"Jiu-Jitsu."

"Yeah, that," Molly said, turning back to face Zoe. "He said he could teach me how to take down a man three times my size. I thought it would be good to know. You know, in case Peter Markum ever tries anything again."

Zoe's eyes softened. "That's not going to happen. You've got Jordan and"—she pointed toward Rob—"it to protect you."

"I don't want to do this alone and I worry about you. It would make me feel better if I knew you knew how to protect yourself, too. So please, do this for me?"

Zoe sighed as she glared at Rob. "I would do it for you, but the karate kid over here already said he's not interested in teaching me, so..."

Rob sighed as he maintained a firm, unwavering tone. "Ms. Parker, I would be more than happy to show you how to protect yourself."

Zoe sighed. "Fine. Let's get this over with. I have a date tonight."

Molly watched as Rob closed his eyes briefly, turning to place his bag on the ground. He pulled on his pants and they snapped off, revealing firm, toned legs in shorts. He unzipped his jacket, revealing a Navy tank top over finely sculpted muscles.

Molly's eyes twisted to see if Zoe noticed. Zoe let a small gasp leave her mouth before she coughed and cleared her throat, turning to get her water bottle.

"Are you alright, Ms. Parker?"

Zoe turned quickly. "Do you work for me? You're not my butler and I have a first name. If you can't form the word 'Zoe,' then feel free to call me 'Your Highness.' Just stop with the Ms. Parker shit, okay?"

"I'd be happy to refer to you by your given name when you refer to me by mine," Rob stated.

Molly noticed a tattoo of a skull on his upper arm. "Can I see your tattoo?" she asked, pointing.

He glanced down at himself as if he'd forgotten he had them.

"Sure," he responded with a shrug.

Molly tugged on her arm. "Zoe, come see this."