11

Molly

Molly sat deep in thought as people loaded onto the plane. She pinched her own arm and jumped slightly, looking down again at the contract she held in her hand. It was still there. It was real. It had really happened. Jordan Knight had just asked her to spend the summer with him. She thought about that again. No, he had asked her to work for him. There was a huge difference. But still, she would be seeing him every day. She would get to hear him sing and go on part of his tour. How could she go overseas? How could she even consider this? She couldn't. She would have to say no.

Jordan had thrown her for a moment when he seemed angry with her. He had made it clear this was purely business. Could she stand to be near him and know he would never have feelings for her? Could she stand to watch women like Bianca King hang all over him? Could she stand to watch him date other women and know it would never be her?

What was wrong with her? She needed to stop thinking with her heart and think with her head. He was, first and foremost, a businessman. She knew she was a hard worker and she really did like the work she had done with Sidney. Which to choose: a job at Titans dealing with crabby people all day, all summer long, or working for Jordan Knight and his traveling band? What would a job for Jordan Knight look like on her résumé? It could truly open doors for her. The summer would probably fly by and she'd get to go to places she had never been for free. Zoe was going to die. She couldn't wait to tell her. She wanted to call her the minute Jordan had dropped her off at the airport, but she couldn't resist seeing her face in person when she told her.

Jordan was so sweet the rest of their time together. After he was briefly stern with her, his attitude changed. He seemed to be almost pleading with her to work for him. On the drive from the restaurant to the airport, he listed off all of the good qualities Molly had said about him herself in the restaurant. He'd told her that if she really believed he was all the things she had said he was, then she'd say yes. How could she say no? Even if there would never be anything romantic between them, she really did like him as a person. He made her laugh and was wickedly charming and clever.

What would her parents say? She was technically an adult and she could say that she was going whether they liked it or not, but she knew she never would. She wanted them to be proud of her. She wanted to make her dad proud more than anything. He had worked so hard his whole life, and more than anything, she wanted to show him that she could make something out of herself the way he did. What would he think about all this? Did she want to be away from them for so long?

Molly tapped her fingers on her armrest then touched Jordan's number at the top of the confidentiality agreement. What about her twenty-first birthday? She and Zoe had already planned the whole thing out months ago. Would Zoe be upset? Maybe Zoe would tell her to stay, too? Maybe Zoe would see that she was starting to have feelings for Jordan. Maybe she'd know that being around him for a couple of months would just prolong Molly's inevitable heartbreak. Could she be away from Zoe all summer? These last two days felt like weeks.

She looked out the window and listened to the clatter of people chatting as they found their seats. She felt her phone buzz with a text. She glanced toward the door and saw people still clambering on the plane. She had time to answer it, if she wanted to. She was certain before she even looked at it that it was Zoe. She couldn't say anything until she landed. Just make small talk, she thought. She looked down at her phone. It was from Jordan. A text from Jordan? Be still her heart.

Jordan: Do you miss me?

Oh my God! Did she miss him? What was that supposed to mean? Did he want her to miss him? Molly had to stop herself from overanalyzing the text. She took a deep breath and wrote: