20

Molly

AS SOON AS Zoe left the room, Molly started to question herself again. She reached into Zoe's purse and pulled out her cell phone, dialing a number. She answered almost immediately.

"Hello?"

Molly almost couldn't get the words out. "Sidney?"

"Molly? Is that you? I didn't recognize the number."

"It's me. Do you know?" Molly asked.

"Jordan told me everything. Have you spoken to him?"

"I can't... It's too hard. I don't want to hear his lies."

Sidney sighed into the phone. "You have to remember, there are two sides to every story, Molly. There's another side to this whole thing. You need to hear him out."

"What could he possibly say to me? That he's sorry?"

"I think you need to hear it from him. Just try to remember who he is. Remember what you know about him and how much he loves you."

Molly instantly regretted calling her. She should have known Sidney would be on Jordan's side. "I have to go. I'll talk to you later."

Molly ended the call and crossed her arms over her chest. She paced the room, not knowing what to do with herself. She needed to remember what she had seen and what he had done. There were definitely two sides—two sides to Jordan Knight. One made you believe in him, and the other made you question every word he'd ever said. Molly grabbed her earbuds and searched her music. She needed a song to make her stronger.

A few seconds later, Zoe opened and closed the door, leaning into it for support.

Molly pulled the pods from her ears. She'd only heard part of "Jar of Hearts" by Christina Perri. "Did you tell him? Did you tell him it's over? I hope he's gone."

Zoe teetered her head back and forth as she shifted her balance.

"He's still here, isn't he?"

"Yes," Zoe replied. "But I kinda said I'd talk to you."

"What?" Molly asked in shock. "Why would you do that? Oh no. Did you fall for his deep-brown come-hither eyes, too? I thought you were immune to his games."

"I didn't fall for shit. It's just... Well, I don't know how he could be making this up."

"Zoe! He's a performer. He tells a story every time he sings, every time he opens his mouth. He's fooled me one too many times. I can't do this. I'm not going to let myself believe him again. There's no way he can explain this... no way he can explain why his mouth was pressed to hers. I need to get a grip. A few minutes ago I almost had a nervous breakdown."

Zoe eyed her for a moment and pursed her lips. "You're probably right," Zoe said with a shrug and a yawn. "Should we get some dinner?"

Molly paused, staring at Zoe's carefree expression.

"What?" Zoe asked.

"That's it?" Molly questioned with her hands propped open, still holding her earbuds. "I thought you told him you'd try."

"You've already made up your mind. There's no point. It's probably for the best, like you said."

Molly stared for another moment before glancing toward the door.

"I knew it. You aren't sure. You want me to tell you it's okay, don't you?"

Molly crossed her arms. "I don't need your permission."