28

Molly

THEY SPENT THE next three days alternating between bedrooms and showers. He'd made love to her in every room and most definitely on the table. She made him breakfast while he played the piano and sang to her.

She'd fallen asleep on the couch with Murphy curled up next to her while Jordan made calls in the other room. She'd felt his arms lift her and carry her to their bed. She'd curled her face into his neck and smelled him deeply. He'd told her the next morning about the night he'd carried her to her bed when she was working for him and how badly he'd wanted to bury himself in her. It didn't take much convincing for him to reenact the memory.

Molly returned to school and alternated her time between her dorm, when she was on call, and the condo. The days she spent the night at school without him were tough. She started to find it difficult to sleep without him.

One night, after completing a difficult paper and two crazy nights on call, she heard a quiet knock on her door. She pulled her glasses from her eyes and opened her door to a hooded Jordan holding a bouquet of mixed flowers over his face. She pulled him into her room as she heard Rob sigh in the hall. They christened her dorm bed that night.

She continued to receive emails. Some were pictures and others were news clips. One day, she received an image of Tessa's car from a newspaper.

Jordan and Rob spent a lot of time behind closed doors, in deep discussion over that one. Molly knew something was going on. Jordan seemed increasingly distraught and angry. She'd hear him pacing at night in the hall. He frequently barked at Dave on the phone. The music he would play on the piano was melancholy. She knew he was troubled. A few times he said he didn't want to talk about it and that everything was fine.

One night, a week later, she heard him moaning in his sleep. His eyes were flittering under his lids and she couldn't take it anymore.

"Jordan," she said, gently shaking him. "You're dreaming."

He woke with a start and panted slightly before his hands eased through his hair. She leaned her head on his chest and stared into his eyes.

"Something's going on. You promised me you'd tell me the truth. I don't like the feeling that you're keeping something from me again."

He pushed up on his elbows and Molly rose along with him. He pursed his lips.

"I'm not trying to keep anything from you. I don't know how to process things. I'm just overwhelmed."

"Talk to me. You know I'm always here for you."

He lifted his hand and glided his finger through her hair.

"I know you are," he said. "Greg was here last week while you were at school. It seems that the reason he removed the water from my room backstage was because Damien told him to. Damien."

Molly frowned as she sat up a little straighter.

"Damien? Why would he take the water out of your room?"

"That's a good question. He was carrying a bottle of water that night. I took it from him after the concert."

Jordan sighed as he leaned forward, resting his arms on his knees.

"It looks like the person I need to be worried about might be the person I thought I could trust beyond a doubt."

Molly's eyes bore into him as she processed what he was saying. She placed her arm around him and leaned her head on his shoulder.

"You should have told me. I could tell you were upset. I could have helped you."

"How? How can you possibly help me? I don't even know what I'm supposed to do with all this." Jordan stood and gripped his hair in his hands. "Everything is falling apart and I don't know what I'm supposed to do or who I'm supposed to be anymore."