42

Molly

The last few days had been the worst of her entire life. Molly had gone straight to Zoe's house. She didn't want her parents to know she was a mess. Zoe had let her stay in her room. She brought her food that Molly wouldn't eat, and rubbed her back and held her hand. She listened as Molly cried. How is it that girls know what girls need? They never tell you that you're stupid, they don't try to fix things and they don't judge. They hold your hand and promise to kick someone's ass for you. Isn't that all a girl really wants?

By day four, Zoe pulled an unwilling Molly into the shower. She told her she stunk as she pushed her in, clothes and all. Molly slid to the bottom of the shower and let the water pour over her. After a few minutes, she undressed and cleaned herself up. Zoe had laid out some of her own clothes for Molly, because every time she pulled out something from Molly's suitcase, Molly cried harder as she told Zoe where she had been with Jordan when she wore it.

By the end of the week, Molly was moving around. She and Zoe had lain out by the pool and Zoe had listened as only a best friend could. Finally Molly asked her, "Did I do the right thing?"

"Sister, I've never had a relationship that lasted for more than a month. I couldn't begin to tell you if you did the right thing. All I know for sure is that you are the strongest, smartest person I know. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that when you do something, there's a reason, and it's usually a damn good one."

After a week, Molly went home. She had told her parents that her job was over and she started to prepare for school. She didn't tell her parents what had happened. She couldn't bring herself to utter one bad thing about Jordan. In her mind, he was and always would be the perfect man.

Molly and Zoe were sitting by the pool at Zoe's house when Molly's phone rSidney. She answered it without even looking at the number.

"Hello?"

"Molly? Is that you?"

"Sidney?"

"Oh sweetie, it's so good to hear your voice! I miss you so much!"

Molly's heart broke again. It was being held together as it was by flimsy tape. "I miss you too, Sidney. Is everything okay?" She desperately wanted to ask about Jordan. Zoe's head popped up and she leaned to listen in.

"I'm going to be in Chicago on Friday. Can we meet?"

Molly's mind raced in five different directions. Zoe was nodding yes. "I... I don't know if that's a good idea."

"Oh come on! Did you forget about me already?"

"Of course not," Molly said as her heart pounded in her chest.

"Come to the concert and we'll have dinner afterwards."

"There's no way I can come, Sidney. I can't see... him."

"He won't even know you're there. I won't tell him. Please! It would mean so much to me to see you!"

Molly felt guilty. She hadn't really given Sidney much of an explanation. She could watch Jordan from afar and he wouldn't know. Could her heart stand to see him again?

"Come on, Molly. What do you say?"

Molly looked at Zoe and Zoe nodded and shrugged. "Okay, but Jordan can't know."

"I won't say a thing! I'll text you the time and I'll meet you in parking. Can't wait to see you."

Molly hung up the phone. She felt a mix of pain and happiness. Happiness because she would see the man she loved and pain because it would be for the last time.

#

Jordan

"She bought it. She's coming," Sidney said with a smile and a sigh of relief.

Sidney watched as Jordan paced the room with his hands in his hair, nodding. He had been a wreck for the last two weeks. Somehow he'd managed to pull off every concert without a hitch. After it was over, he'd fall apart. He was crabby and Sidney could tell he wasn't getting enough sleep. She knew there was more going on. It was obvious to her that he missed her, even if he wouldn't admit it. He was broken. She would have done anything to help him. He knew she cared, but it didn't take away his pain.

After Molly had left, Jordan had decided it was best for her to go on with her life. He tried to act like it didn't bother him, but he didn't know how to live without her. His mistakes consumed him. He was unbearable to be around. Finally Sidney had had enough.

One night after his concert in Pittsburg, she met him on the bus. She told him he needed to pull himself together. She told him that if he wanted something, he had to fight for it. That if he wanted her then he couldn't let her slip through his fingers. Sidney asked him, "Why can't you admit how you feel about her?"

"I don't know, Sidney. I guess I'm just too messed up."

Sidney got pissed. "You can't hide behind your past as a reason to not have a future. You're a brilliant man, Jordan. You succeed in everything around you except when it comes to expressing your feelings. You stink at understanding you. Molly understands you better than you do. You pushed her away because you wanted to have something to blame when things didn't work out. You've clung to your past an excuse for your life."

"Don't you think I know that? I let my past get between us. But it's better for her. I'd hurt her one way or another. Better she gets out now before she's in too deep."

Sidney pounded her fist on the table. "You can't look at every pothole in life and assume it will swallow you whole. You can't look love right in the face and tell it you have too much hate to let it in. Stop hating yourself. Stop bullying yourself. Take that voice that tells you it hurts and kick it to the curb! If you want to feel joy you have to get over the pain. Sometimes you have to lose in order to win. Molly is a strong woman and she deserves you and all you have to give. You are a good man, Jordan, and you deserve to be happy. Molly deserves to be happy. The only way you two are ever going to be happy is with each other, so get over your past and let her be your future!"

She had seen the look in his eyes when he accepted her words. She had never seen so much determination in him as she saw when he'd made a plan to get her back.

"We don't have much time. Are you sure this will work?" he asked.

"It has to, for your sake and for hers."

Jordan was resolved. One way or another, he'd make her see. He was wrong. His life, his career... He had thought it was all he needed. Now he knew. What he really needed was right in front of him all along. He needed her. He wouldn't give up. This time... he would be the one putting the puzzle together.