29

Molly

"TELL ME AGAIN why I'm here?" Zoe asked as she turned in a circle. "Not that I mind. Jeez, look at that view."

Molly handed Zoe a bottle of water as she glanced out the floor-to-ceiling window in the condo in Chicago.

"It is amazing."

"I can't believe he bought this. You must be better than I thought you were," Zoe said, raising her brows.

Molly laughed.

There was a thud against the door.

"The reason you're here just arrived."

Molly opened the door to a large evergreen tree.

"Rob?" she questioned.

"Yep, back here. Move out of the way and I'll bring it through."

Molly stepped back as Rob pushed the tree through the doorway and almost fell on top of it.

Zoe chuckled lightly.

"Where does this fall into his duties?" Zoe asked as she motioned to Rob.

"I volunteered," Rob stated.

He stood and glanced toward Zoe. She met his eyes and turned away quickly.

Molly studied them.

"Am I missing something here?" she asked as she glared at Zoe.

"You're missing lights and decorations," Rob stated, pulling his long-sleeved t-shirt down his waist.

"I have those," Molly said as she moved toward the door, closing it.

"So you asked me to come over here and work?" Zoe flinched. "This is not my idea of a fun Friday night."

"It will be fun. Christmas is only a week away. Finals are over and we need to relax and kick back. I have pizzas in the oven and a bottle of wine. I had hoped Jordan would be home—I mean back—to decorate, but things took a bizarre turn and he's going to be there through the weekend."

Molly watched as Zoe sighed at the enormity of the tree.

"This tree is huge. Did you pick it out?" she asked Rob.

"Yeah, why?"

"Some might say it's a phallic symbol. That you're making up for what you're lacking in your pants with the size of this tree."

Rob stared at Zoe and Molly rolled her eyes.

"Well?" she asked.

"Maybe I'm so used to looking at large things that I chose this tree in admiration of its similarity."

"Doubt it," Zoe huffed.

"You'll just have to take my word for it, won't you?" Rob asked as he bent to turn the tree.

"All men think they're bigger than they really are," Zoe stated.

Molly giggled.

"See," Zoe said, pointing to Molly. "Apparently Jordan does too."

Molly shook her head. "No, Jordan doesn't think he's big. I do."

"TMI, Molly," Zoe said, rolling her eyes.

Rob poured water into the base of the tree as he shifted it into place. He stood intimidatingly close to Zoe, who tried to appear unaffected.

"I think you have a few too many thoughts about the bulge in my pants. I'm here to do a job. Not you, sweetheart."