ch 1: tristan

𝔸/ℕ: 𝕋𝕙𝕚𝕤 𝕤𝕥𝕠𝕣𝕪 𝕡𝕚𝕔𝕜𝕤 𝕦𝕡 𝕒 𝕨𝕖𝕖𝕜 𝕒𝕗𝕥𝕖𝕣 "ℝ𝕚𝕘𝕙𝕥 𝕗𝕣𝕠𝕞 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕊𝕥𝕒𝕣𝕥"!!

🖤

I don't know why Sunny Prescott always made me nervous... but she did.

From the day we met at the first Superbowl our dads played in together...

... The girl had me on my toes.

She's really pretty, and really funny, and really nice... even when I'm being mean.

My stupid half-brother nearly ruined her birthday last week.

I got her a turtle 'cause I knows she likes them and then Nate had to go and tell her something I said when I was upset.

Something that I didn't even mean.

Of course, I wanted to go to her birthday party... I just didn't wanna have to watch Nate follow her around like he always does.

When she looked at me like she wanted to cry, there were two things I really wanted to do: make sure Sunny never cried again and kick Nate's butt.

That was last week, and now she's over for a playdate with Nate.

They're hanging out together in the playroom and I know I should at least try to apologize to her.

When I walked into the room, I stopped dead in my tracks and watched as she sang her heart out to whatever song Nate was playing on the projector.

I didn't recognize the tune, but I could tell that even at just seven, Sunny's voice was special.

She stopped singing the moment she saw me, letting her fake microphone disappear before she stomped over to the playroom door.

"What do you want?"

"Uhh... hey, Sunny. What are you guys doing?"

Her hand was on the side of the door a second later and as her big brown eyes narrowed at me, I'd never felt so small.

"We're playing games for only little kids... so, you're not allowed!"

When the door shut in my face, my hand slid down it slowly as I fell to my knees.

I had realized over the years what could make Sunny happy and what could make her mad.

Seeing her cry on her birthday was something I never wanted to happen and as the door to the playroom shut, I understood why she hated me.

I grabbed my skateboard and ran out of the house, straight towards the little skatepark Dad had built in our backyard.

It was days like this that I felt like screaming.

Sometimes I wish Nate's mom never died-- kind of because I feel bad-- but mostly because now he's here all the time, and even though she doesn't say anything, I know there's something about him that always makes my mom a little sad.

She has this weird look on her face sometimes when she's looking at him-- I know she doesn't know I see it... but I do.

The other part about him that bugs me mainly has to do with Sunny.

I love that girl.

She's... she's perfect.

But I hate that no matter how much fun we're having together, it's like she can drop me for him without even thinking about it.

I know if I ever made her choose between us, she'd pick Nate every single time.

It's fine, though. I mean... she's younger than me, she's never gonna get how I feel about her, and her dad doesn't really seem to like me.

Sunny Jaymes Prescott may be the only girl in the world that doesn't seem to fall at my feet, and for that, I think I love her even more.

She's a headache... but she's my headache and she's worth it.

Even if she ends up picking my brother...

🖤