ch 3: tristan

"Tristan O'Connell!"

As the announcer said my name, I rose to my feet, smiling and waving as I approached the stage.

Looking out into the crowd, my eyes instantly found Sunny, who was sitting with Nate and my parents. I gave her a small wave and did our secret salute as I got on the stage.

That girl really was my best friend, despite the claim that Nate thinks he has on her.

"Congratulations, son."

After taking the diploma, I turned to look at the crowd, holding up the diploma and waving as my parents took a few pictures.

After the ceremony, my mom wanted a few more pictures, and after about the fourth one, she told Nate to stand next to me,

I rolled my eyes and he slowly took the spot next to me, smiling awkwardlyly as my mom took more photos.

Sunny, who was standing next to her, stuck her tongue out to tease me, causing me to roll my eyes once again.

"Hey, Sunny. Why don't you get in the next shot?"

Sunny didn't have a chance to respond to my mom's request as I grabbed her hand, pulling her to stand next to me, causing my dad to chuckle.

"Careful with her, Son."

Nate tried to wrap his arm around Sunny's shoulder, but I leaned over and pushed him away, protectively gripping her shoulder as she stepped closer to me.

"Be nice, Tris."

I looked down at her and rolled my eyes, knowing she knew how much Nate annoyed me.

We were walking back to my dad's car when Sunny grabbed my hand and stopped me, making me look back at her. I watched as she handed me the gift bag I noticed when we first picked her up.

"I got you something."

The smile on my face intensified when I looked at Sunny and noticed the nervous way she was biting her bottom lip.

I opened the bag and pulled out a small box. After flipping it over, my eyes widened in excitement.

"It's a new camera with shock absorbers for your skateboard; you can record on it and the videos get sent to your Cloud."

I wrapped my arms around her, gently lifting her off the ground so I could spin her.

"So you like it?"

After setting her back down, I gently tucked her hair behind her ear.

"It's perfect, Bunni. I love it."

After a celebration dinner, we dropped Sunny back off at her house. She began fiddling with the chords draped around my neck.

"I still can't believe you're going to high school. I'm gonna miss you, Tris."

"Come on, Bun. It's not like we won't still see each other all the time."

She nodded and bit her lip when she looked up at me.

"True."

"So... slumber party later?"

She smiled and nodded once again as she reached for the handle to her front door.

"I'll be there."

🖤