ch 36: nate

I had just been presented the 'Player of the Decade' award and even through the flashes in the crowd, I could still make out my Flower, sitting a few rows in front of my parents, cheering me on.

A few moments later, I was draped in a Homecoming Court sash, by Mariah, who had been acting weird all day.

I was still trying to keep up the 'good boyfriend' front, but with Sunny this close in the crowd, all my attention was drawn onto my girl.

"So, what happened to you last night?"

I looked down at her, trying to drown out the sound of the school band along with the cheering crowd, but I could tell by the frown on her face that she wasn't happy.

"Huh?"

"Well... dinner must've run long, 'cause I never heard from you."

I leaned in, trying to act like I couldn't hear her, and shook my head in confusion with an innocent smile on my face.

"What?"

"You were supposed to call... remember?"

I pulled back a little, avoiding her gaze until I could finally spill some random words together for an excuse.

"Oh. I, uh... I was pretty tired. Practice has been brutal lately, ya know?"

The tears that sprang out after she glared up at me made me feel like a complete asshole, which I was.

"Come on, Nathan. We both know that that's not the truth."

"What?"

Mariah looked back at the crowd for a minute, and as she did, my attention was instantly back over her shoulder, staring at the love of my life as she wore a proud smile on her gorgeous face.

"You want her, it's obvious."

She had caught my attention and when I looked down at her stormy green eyes, I hated myself for making her feel this sad.

"How am I supposed to face everyone now, Nate? I look like a fucking mess and the second I turn around-- ya know, when I have to go and cheer for you-- everyone's gonna see. This is all your fault."

Mariah was still technically my girlfriend, and no matter how much more Sunny meant to me, I had still betrayed Mariah.

I hated seeing any girl cry and when her tears began to leak, I did something that was probably stupid, but it was the only definite way I knew I could make sure she could walk back over without any suspicion.

I pulled her in, grabbing the back of her curled hair, mashing my lips against hers.

My brain shut off and I gave her what probably looked like the world's hottest kiss.

In reality, I was satisfied when I pulled back, seeing the football paint on my face had mixed with her running mascara.

I smiled down at her as more cameras flashed before wiping her face a bit.

"It's okay, Em. I got you."

The halftime presentation was over and as Mariah ran back to the sideline with the rest of the cheerleaders, my eyes scanned the crown. Sunny wasn't in her seat.

She was walking down the stairs, with Gia following.

"No..."

She made it to the final step on the bleachers and looked up at me on the field.

I couldn't recognize the look in her eyes as she wiped the tear from her cheek and walked away.

"Flower, no..."

🖤