ch 10: tristan

I could barely hear what the Drama teacher was saying about our next project; I couldn't stop staring at the back of Sunny's head. She was sitting a few rows ahead of me in the auditorium, whispering and giggling with another girl.

She was beautiful.

But... she has a boyfriend?!

How could she have a boyfriend?!

Bunni was--

Who was I kidding?

How could she not have a boyfriend?

Bunni's amazing.

Everything about her was perfect and I was so mad at myself for not telling her that when I had the chance.

But that kiss.

She kissed me back... I felt it.

Since I had agreed to meet Adam for lunch, I was sitting at a table, along with him and a couple of the other guys on the football team, who were asking if 'Karl O'Connell's Kid' would be trying out for the team.

"Not me, man. My brother's the football player in the family. He'll probably be at practice today."

One of the guys nudged Adam, who looked over in the same direction, a smirk instantly on his face.

"Jay, baby! Over here."

I looked over and instantly shot up in my seat, frozen as I watched Sunny and another girl approaching the table. The smile on her face faltered for a moment when she looked at me and as they approached the table a few guys made space next to Adam.

I felt the air being sucked from my lungs a moment later when Sunny, not the girl I had assumed was Jay, sat next to Adam. He slung an arm over her shoulder and kissed her temple, making me want to reach and rip his lips off his face-- just so they wouldn't be on her.

"Baby, this is Tristan-- the new kid."

Her smile was shy made it seem like she was going to pretend like she didn't know me-- that she hadn't been on my mind constantly since I was five-- and it hurt like hell.

But when she opened her mouth and spoke, I felt like I could breathe again.

"Yeah, uh, I know Tris."

Adam, who was reaching onto Sunny's plate for one of her fries dropped it and leered at me cautiously.

"Me and Bunni go way back."

I scrunched my nose at Sunny, who smiled a little then grimaced and I looked down, noticing his hand was on her thigh.

"Bunni, huh?"

I clenched my jaw when she squirmed in her seat, her big brown eyes, wider than I'd seen in a really long time. She slightly shook her head and I rolled my eyes.

After making some excuse about needing something from my car, I headed out of the cafeteria, out into the courtyard when I threw on the pavement and began pacing.

Why was she with this asshole and what the fuck was going on under that table to make her make that face?

What am I going to have to do to get her away from Adam and, seriously, who the fuck was Jay?!

🖤