ch 24: nate

I had just re-entered my bedroom from my connected bathroom, smirking to myself as I saw my best guy friend, Spencer, gussying up in the mirror.

"Dude, tonight is gonna be sick! Everybody'sstoked for your party."

I nodded and sat on my bed to put on my sneakers. As I laced them, Spencer grabbed the football from off of my nightstand. He tossed it back and forth between his hands as he leaned back on my desk.

"I still can't believe we're gonna be seniors in two days."

"I know, man. It's crazy, right?"

Spencer was a ride receiver on the team, one of my go-to guys during high-pressure moments.

He had my back, both on and off the field."

"You know, Krista's been looking pretty fuckin good lately. I think I might go for it tonight."

"Nice."

"And what about you?"

I looked up at Spencer with a look of confusion on my face.

"What about me?"

"Any cuties on your radar this year?"

"Yeah...football."

"...and Sunny... like always"

I gave Spencer an unsure look as I finished lacing my sneakers and he answered my facial expression with a scoff of his own.

"What?"

"Dude... Who was the first-- hell, the only person who asked me about every time we talked when you were gone?"

"..."

"And who did you say you couldn't wait to get home to?"

"..."

"Face it, man. You're still not over her."

I was going to open my mouth to lie and say I didn't feel anything for Sunny when my phone began to ring.

"Let me guess who that is..."

I sighed and looked up at Spencer before shaking my head and answering my phone.

"Hey, Flower."

"Nate? Look, I know your party's starting soon... but I need you."

🖤