ch 8: sunny

Aunt Trish didn't notice as I snuck behind her and left the O'Connells' house using one of the side doors. I had just slipped through the patio and slid the door shut when I turned to see Tristan skating up the back sidewalk.

"Bunni? What's going on?"

It had been a few days since the trade news came out and after completely bailing on the dance, I'd been ignoring Tristan.

And right now, after talking to Nate, I had no interest in speaking with either of them. I walked past Tristan, staring right through him as I headed for the back gate.

"Just leave me alone, Tris."

I knew he knew I was serious and when I let the gate close silently behind me, I knew it was Tristan calling me.

"What?"

"As mad as you are, there's no way I'm letting you walk back without at least knowing you get there safe."

"I don't wanna talk to you."

"Then, don't. Just stay on the line until you get home. Just call me a jerk and hang up o me when you get there if you want."

"Trist--"

"I gotta make sure you're okay, Bun..."

I bit my lip for a second before my response came out, just above a whisper.

"Okay."

We were both silent for those fifteen minutes as I walked back to my house, but every now and then, I could hear him breathing on the other end, annoyingly still sending butterflies straight to my belly.

I sighed after shutting my front door, thankful that both of my parents were busy handling up some business in town before we left the next morning.

Knowing that I'd probably seen him for what could be the last time hurt my heart, and now I was trying to figure out what I should say to Tristan.

"I'm, um... I'm home, Jerk."

I heard a small chuckle and what I could've sworn was a sniffle before pulling the phone away and staring at it for a second before finally hanging up.

I know I'd never forget the O'Connell brothers; they'd etched a place in my heart that would be forever irreplaceable, but now without them, I didn't know what I was supposed to do.

🖤

𝔾𝕖𝕥 𝕣𝕖𝕒𝕕𝕪 𝕗𝕠𝕣 𝕒𝕟𝕠𝕥𝕙𝕖𝕣 𝕥𝕚𝕞𝕖 𝕛𝕦𝕞𝕡!

𝕋𝕖𝕒𝕞 𝕋𝕣𝕚𝕤𝕥𝕒𝕟 𝕠𝕣 𝕋𝕖𝕒𝕞 ℕ𝕒𝕥𝕖?