ch 30: tristan

The car ride was silent on the way home from Nate and Sunny's 'Senior' dinner and the wrecked expression on Nate's face let me know exactly what last night did to them.

Although I hated that it hurt her, I found a tiny bit of satisfaction in the fact that Nate fucked up so bad... whatever he and that girl were doing.

We pulled up to our gate and noticed a town car parked outside. My parents shared a look before my dad shrugged, continuing the short drive up our driveway.

"Who is that?"

I sat up a little at my mom's question and turned my head to see the car following us. It parked behind us in the round driveway and we were all getting out of our car as the driver headed around to the passenger side.

He opened the door and a second later, I was floored, seeing a familiar head of magenta hair, bouncing with each step she took.

"Shit... uhh, that's a friend of mine. I'll be in in a second."

My parents walked into the house, warily, followed by an intrigued Nate, who was probably trying to figure out who this girl was.

My focus was on her a second later, seeing her big dimples pop as she gave me a sarcastic smile.

"Damn, Tris. You look like shit."

Her smile only faltered when I sighed and looked down at her in pure confusion.

"Nikki, what are you doing here? What do you want?"

She took a step toward me, putting a comforting hand on my arm before she began to rub it.

"I miss you."

"Right."

I rolled my eyes and chuckled sarcastically, tilting my head back a little. When I looked back down at her, she had a pout on her face, something that never really got to me, but was now especially an annoying reminder of all the bad choices I was making just a year ago.

"Look... I know the last time we saw each other didn't exactly go how either of us thought but... I love you. And... you love me, right?"

I opened my mouth to respond, but I knew anything she wanted to hear would just be a lie.

"You said it yourself, Tristan. Remember."

Honestly, I had no idea what she was talking about. I couldn't remember ever saying something like that to her, but I wouldn't put it past myself.

All last year, I was using cocaine and Nikki as ways to numb myself. I needed to stop thinking about Sunny, because it was only causing misery, and drugs and girls seemed to fill the void.

I probably unknowingly made Nikki feel special, and now... I felt awful thinking about how she was nothing more than an ultimate rebound for me.

But as I looked into her sad eyes, part of me hesitated.

Sunny was clearly over me.

Maybe it was finally my turn to really get over her.

🖤