ch 39: tristan

Four weeks.

It's been almost a whole month since that night and we're finally having Nate's funeral.

The police didn't release his body to our family until a few days ago; there was still a few lingering questions about what happened that night and they were finally all answered a few days ago when that fucking prick Adam Sherwood-- that kid from my class that used to date Sunny-- confessed to everything.

He had been stalking Sunny over the past two years, ever since she broke up with him, and the fact that Nate had just broken all school records and essentially made Adam's time playing for the team a joke, he wanted revenge.

He was jealous of Nate's success and wanted to destroy him so he decided to use Sunny to lure Nate into his deadly trap.

I'm just devastated that it actually worked.

My parents have been a wreck; my mom can barely speak and when she does it's always about Nate, followed by a fresh set of tears.

My dad has been a zombie the whole month; he took two weeks off from work, then on his first day back at practice, had to be sent home for strangling one of the practice coaches who got in his face; everyone understood-- his kid had just been murdered.

And me?

I spent the last four weeks kicking my own ass; I knew I'd never get over the guilt of how I treated my brother.

I was supposed to protect him, but instead, I pushed him aside and ran him through the dirt for his entire life.

He didn't deserve it.

He deserved better.

🖤