ch 33: tristan

"This is incredible, Tristan. Honestly, your dad and I are so, so proud of you."

My dad smiled and nodded after kissing the back of my mom's hand as he held it.

"Your mother's right, Son. Now, I know this looks like a challenging course load for a semester but we both know you can do it. Your mom and I are backing you one-hundred and ten percent."

I tucked my schedule for next semester into the folder and set it on the side fn the table as the front door rang. My mom stood and went to answer it, leaving me and my dad alone.

"Now, all there is to fix is the 'Sunny thing' right?"

I gave him a slightly surprised smile, not realizing how transparent I had been with my feelings towards Sunny, but it didn't matter when we both heard my mom screaming for me a second later.

"Tristan Anthony O'Connell!"

My blood ran cold as fear crept over my body; my mom only used my middle name when she was truly angry, and I had no idea what I had done. I hobbled over to the door, with my dad following close behind, sighing in annoyance when I saw who was standing there.

"Tristan, we're not having any company over today. I suggest you tell your guest to leave."

"I got it, Mom... sorry."

My mom gave me an admonishing glare before leaving me out on the front porch wh Nikki, who still had a look of shock and annoyance on her face.

"What's your mom's deal, Tristan? I mean-- is she going through menopause or something? Why was she being such a bitch?"

Suddenly, all I could see was red. I don't know how close I had gotten to her, but after pushing her against the closet wall, I leaned down to whisper in Nikki's ear.

"Watch your fucking mouth."

I pulled away, seeing a surprised and fearful look on her face. Her hazel eyes began watering up, but it didn't matter to me.

"Tristan, I--"

"Look, Nick. We were both disrespectful as fuck the last time you were here and if my mom doesn't want you here, I have no problem with that."

Nikki scowled and crossed her arms as she glared at me in disbelief, blinking a few times.

"Excuse me?"

It felt like I had hit my breaking point with Nikki, I couldn't hold this in anymore.

"Nikki, look... this isn't working."

"What are you talking about? Tristan, I--"

"Was a warm body for me while I was traveling on the road, okay? End of story. No one told you to track me down and come to LA."

She began defiantly shaking her head, smiling out of sheer panic.

"No, Tristan, we--"

"Were over a long time ago, Nikki. Just... Can't you understand that?"

Her desperation continued spewing out and she reached out for me, attempting to put her lips on me, but I stepped back, nearly falling over as I dodged her kiss.

"Look, you had a nice mouth and a decent pussy, but that's it, okay? Get that through your head."

Her palm collided with the side of my face and my head jerked sideways from the momentum.

"You suck, Tristan."

I watched her walk away and nodded, rubbing the spot on my cheek that she just smacked.

"So I've been told."

🖤