ch 19: tristan

The school was pretty much a ghost town that Thursday afternoon when I headed back. I forgot my science notes and came to get them after leaving the skatepark.

I wasn't expecting to overhear Sunny with her ex, but I couldn't help it.

I stepped around the corner the moment I heard something slam against a locker, seeing Sunny's eyes wide in fear, instantly infuriating me.

"Hey!"

They both looked at me, and I could see Sunny visibly relax, but all I could really remain focused on was Adam and the way he was sort of blocking her way.

"Is there a problem over here?"

"Tris..."

"No problem here, O'Connell. Now, why don't you mind your business?"

I stalked over and shoved him back against the lockers he had been leaning on and with my forearm pressed against his chest, I pinned him back and leaned in, eyeing him savagely.

"She is my business."

The smirk on his face irritated me, causing me to take a deep breath before pressing him harder into the locker, earning a whimper from the coward.

"Now, instead of throwing you through that little football display and ruining your season like I really want to..."

I smiled nodded to my right at the championship case that displayed photos and trophies before focusing back on Adam.

"I'm just gonna settle for watching my little brother upstage you and take your spot... Captain."

Adam drew in a ragged breath and began coughing once I finally stepped back. He was still catching his breath as I grabbed ahold of Sunny's hand and began walking towards the main exit.

The look on her face in the hall had thrown me; she should have never had to make that face.

My blood was boiling just as the thought of Sunny ever being hurt and I didn't realize that I was still tugging on her hand until she yanked it back, planting her feet as she shoved me away.

"What the hell, Tris?! Couldn't you hear me? You've been dragging me this whole time?"

I looked down at the way she was massaging her hand and it gutted me to think I could ever physically hurt her.

"Fuck! Bun, I'm sorry. I-- shit! I just... He didn't hurt you, did he?"

I looked down into her gorgeously distracting brown eyes and as she smiled up at me, I let out a deep, nervous breath.

"No, Tris. I'm fine."

We were quiet on the drive back to her place, but I couldn't not ask the question I had been mulling over ever since we left school.

"Has he ever?"

"Has who ever what?"

When Bunni looked over at me, I knew she knew exactly who and what I was talking about. She began nervously tugging on her hair as she let her focus trail out the window.

When she refused to look at me or speak, I pulled my car over, throwing it in 'park' before looking over at her, nothing but seriousness on my face.

"Sunny Jaymes, look at me...'

She sighed, keeping her eyes on her folded hands in her lap, only looking over at me once I tucked my index finger under her thumb.

"Bunni, if I ever hear that he's hurt you, I swear to God... I'll kill him."

🖤