ch 27: tristan

"Check this shit out!"

"Oh, God, Tristan, don't do that!"

I sat back and watched myself on the television.

The footage was from a tournament I had in San Diego last year, and as I watched myself grabbing the secondary camera from the cameraman, I could only vaguely remember that day.

"Careful, man. Shit!"

I rolled my eyes and told Roger, one of the cameramen, to relax. I had just finished a run on the half-pipe and had been at the top of the leaderboard all day.

This tournament was mine; it practically had my name on it.

As I made my way back over to the team's tent, the owner, Kyle, tossed me a towel. I peeled my tank top off my sweaty body before catching the towel, hearing a throng of screeching screams coming from behind me.

I looked over and saw a sea of girls all behind the barricade, screaming my name.

I smirked before tossing my sweaty tank top at them, chuckling as I watched the mayhem just a piece of clothing could cause.

Kyle looked over and saw the chaos in the crowd then smirked as he looked back over at me, shaking his head in slight disbelief.

"You're a wild man, O'Connell."

We had just gotten back on our tour bus and after setting my first place trophy on the counter, someone broke out the bottles of champagne.

"Alright, heading to Anaheim."

My chest tightened a little bit, thinking about how close I'd be to everything I walked away from.

It's been a few months, but there's not a day that passes when she isn't haunting my thoughts.

I stood from the booth and excused myself to the small bathroom, pulling a small bag from the wallet in my back pocket.

The white powder was in a small pile in the small dip of my hand and I snorted it a second later, sniffling back as my nose burned.

My eyes were watery and bloodshot when I looked at myself in the mirror, almost not recognizing the person looking back.

I knew I couldn't go back... not like this.

What would Sunny think?

Would she even care at this point?

The agony-riddled doubt was pushed away as I did another bump, then another, then another until I couldn't feel my top lip.

The second we rolled into the hotel in Anaheim, my roommate, Freddy, and I headed straight for our room.

We raided the fridge for beer and as I looked out our window down at the pool, the first thing that caught my eyes was the girl with the bright pink hair.

"Hey, man... what's going on this weekend?"

Freddy walked up to the window, pulling the curtain back further, a wide smile on his face as he took in all the bikini-clad girls.

"It's Comic-Con, man."

🖤