ch 21: nate

Okay, forget what I said before... this is actual fucking hell.

I can't believe her dad was okay with them dating.

My stomach churned as I sat in the back of Tristan's truck, watching as he grabbed her hand and laced their fingers together, leaving a kiss on the back of her tiny hand.

The air felt like it was being drained from my lungs and if I kept watching them I might actually die.

I popped in my headphones, trying to ignore the fact that Sunny was the one girl who I thought would love me.

My throat felt raw and I started seeing spots, feeling a bit dizzy before a tight grip on my knee took my focus.

"Breathe, Nate, come on! Nate? Nathan!"

Sunny's voice rang in my ears and as I kept my eyes on her, my breathing regulated, and everything in the background began to come back into focus.

We were in the Senior parking lot, in Tristan's assigned spot, he and Sunny both looked back at me, making me feel like I was under a microscope.

"Nate, are you okay?"

I brushed Sunny's hand away ignoring her question for a moment as I hopped out of the truck. I muttered an 'I'm fine', before I shut the door and headed inside the second building, where my locker was.

I was followed, soon after, by Sunny, who caught up to me with a wide-eyed look of concern on her face.

"Hey... you sure you're okay? I mean... I know you haven't had a panic attack in years--"

Suddenly, I was irritated. I didn't want or need her pity. As I grabbed my books for my first classes, I rolled my eyes then shut my locker.

"Look, Sunny, I'm fine, okay?! Just drop it."

I left her calling for me a few times in the hallway, but I couldn't turn back right now. Not when I was trying to figure out how to put my heart back together.

🖤