ch 25: tristan

Nate's party has been over for a while now. The DJ headed out about an hour ago, after the last guests left, which meant I could go back into the house without being bothered.

Figuring that the caterers put all the leftovers in the fridge, I headed for the kitchen, wondering what food I was going to get to enjoy.

There was a dim light on in the kitchen and as I got closer, I couldn't figure where it was coming from.

I nearly hopped back on my bad foot when I turned on the light, seeing Sunny standing in front of the open fridge, peeking inside.

"Shit!"

"Oh, Tris. Hi."

I tilted my head, watching the way she slightly stumbled from the fridge to the kitchen island, all while she carried a large aluminum pan.

I hadn't seen her in over a year and she was even more beautiful than I remembered, wasted or not.

I was full of curiosity as I watched her unveil a tray of barbequed chicken wings and flats. I bit my lip to hold in a groan when she picked up a flat and sucked it down to the bone.

"Are you-- you've got the drunk munchies, don't you?"

She nodded furiously as she went for a drumette this time, biting into it and moaning with her eyes shutting.

I'd never really seen her wasted, but seeing how happy the wings were making her was kind of cute.

"The party was amazing. You really missed out."

Carefully raising myself onto the kitchen island, I sat back, careful not to bump my ankle.

I bit my lip nervously, thinking about the way we left things at Prom and how surprised I was that she was even acknowledging me.

"The only thing I missed was you."

"So, why'd you leave me?"

The kitchen was dead silent for a moment and when I looked over and the sadness I saw in Sunny's eyes, it made me want to kill myself. My selfishness broke her heart and now seeing her like this was breaking mine.

I shook my head as I leaned over, tangling my hand in her curls as I pulled her in closer.

"Baby, I wasn't leaving you!"

She covered my hand with hers and shook her head for a moment before taking a step back, away from me.

"No, Tris... you did, and that's fine. We just... we weren't supposed to end up together. It's okay."

I couldn't ignore the tears I saw in her eyes when she ran past me, heading for the stairs.

I hung my head and sighed in frustration, knowing that my Bunni probably hated my fucking guts.

"Fuck!"

🖤