ch 2: tristan

"Come on, Bunni! You can do this-- I know you can."

She kept her hands clutched to the front of my shirt as I began to slowly walk backwards.

"Tristan, don't let me go!"

"I won't let you go, I promise."

As I picked up speed and began a small stride, Sunny held on, steering with her legs and feet. She had been begging me to teach her how to skateboard, and I could only say 'no' to those big brown eyes for so long.

I don't think there was anything that I wouldn't do for this girl.

As we went down a small curve along the sidewalk, the board got away from me, and I watched in amazement for a moment as Sunny rode the board on her own.

The next moment was filled with horror when I saw the board drift onto the grass, catapulting Sunny. As she landed on the grass, her scream echoed in the yard, breaking my heart.

"Ahhhhh!!!"

I reached her as soon as I could, watching as she revealed large scrapes on both of her knees.

The reddish patches on her skin paired with the tears in her eyes were enough to make me want to throw my skateboard into a woodchipper just to make sure Sunny couldn't get hurt by it ever again.

"Are you-- are you okay?"

I crouched down and took a look at her knees, then directly into the big brown eyes that were filling with tears.

"Tris, it hur--"

"Sunflower, what happened?!"

A moment later, her dad was hovering over us, his attention on Sunny as he crouched down.

"I fell off the skateboard."

Mr. Prescott glanced over at my skateboard then at me, glaring as his nostrils flared.

Even at twelve, he still scared me.

"It- it was an accident."

"She could've gotten hurt, Tristan."

I looked down at Sunny, watching her sniffle, and I felt like crap. I didn't mean to hurt her and I never wanted to.

"I'm sorry."

"You have to be careful, Tristan. She's only ten."

With a defeated look on my face, I watched Mr. Prescott scoop Sunny into his arms, carrying her back inside of the house and as our eyes locked, I mouthed another 'I'm sorry' seeing her nod.

She curled into her dad's hold and disappeared with him into the house.

Hurting Sunny was the last thing I wanted to do, and I'd do anything I could to make sure it never happened again.

🖤

𝕋𝕙𝕠𝕦𝕘𝕙𝕥𝕤?