ch 28: sunny

As I drove Gia home after the game, I had a weird feeling in my stomach.

I was so zoned out that I didn't hear her calling me for a solid minute.

"Sunny Jaymes Prescot!!!"

I shook my head and my gaze drifted over to Gia who was giving me a weird look.

"Dude, I've been calling you and calling you. Didn't you hear me?"

I shrugged, not wanting to admit how distracted I was.

"Sun, what's going on?"

I sighed before glancing over at her, biting my lip before finally spilling my guts.

"It's Nate. He's never that late or weird at a game and, I don't know, I just... I don't know what happened."

"He's probably just antsy for tomorrow. It's the first game of the season."

"Yeah, I guess you're right."

In the back of my mind, all I could think was that our kiss did weird him out. Nate was into me like that anymore. And until I heard it from him, I was slowly going to drive myself crazy.

I drove straight to his place after dropping off Gia, trying my best to ignore Tristan.

He was sitting out by the front doors, trying to balance on his skateboard, with no success.

"Should you really be doing that?"

When he looked up and saw me, I forgot how to breathe, gulping desperately when shook his head and sarcastically chuckled, looking down at his casted foot.

"I'm just full of great ideas, lately."

We were both quiet for a moment and I felt my heart thudding but ignored it and any feelings that still lingered for Tristan as I opened my mouth to speak.

"Where's Nate?"

"He said he was going to lift, but--"

"Thanks."

Ignoring Tristan calling for me, I marched into the house, quickening my pace a bit so he couldn't follow. I took the stairs down to the basement gym and walked down the hall, anxious to finally see Nate.

I needed to know if he still felt something; I needed to know I wasn't the only one.

I opened the door and the smile I had on my face was ripped away.

Nate was sitting back on one of the workout machines. His shorts were at his ankles and a girl's face was in his lap.

"Fuck.. just like that."

He licked his lip and moaned before biting it, grabbing the back of her head, holding her blonde locs in place tighter as his hips began to thrust.

His eyes jolted open when he heard a muffled cry.

Mine.

"Flower--"

I had my hand clasped over my mouth, letting the door close, before backing away and running towards the stairs.

My legs carried me up the stairs robotically before I was running out the door, past Tristan who was hobbling towards the stairs.

"Bunni--".

"Don't, okay?"

I hopped in my car and sped down the street towards y house, making the usually few-minute drive feel like seconds.

As I pulled into my driveway my phone began to ring and I rolled my eyes, not wanting to talk to either O'Connell brother at the moment.

I looked down in confusion, not recognizing the number, before finally deciding to answer.

"He-hello?"

"Ms. Prescott?"

"Yes...?"

"Hi, this is Cynthia Lockwood."

"Oh, Ms. Lockwood! Hi, how are you?"

Ms. Lockwood was the woman from my audition, one of the execs who was seated at the table.

"Just fine, dear. Listen. I was hoping you could come in tomorrow. We have something here we'd like to discuss with you."

I sat back in my seat, staring at the screen in my car as Cynthia waited on the other end of the call. Nate's first game of the season was tomorrow, but with what had just happened... my heart was torn.

I sighed to myself, shaking all the nerves from my body, before finally responding.

"I'll be there, Ms. Lockwood."

🖤